Do I Really Need Expensive, Organic, Non-GMO Feed?

Buy the feed you are comfortable spending money on. If they seem healthy, and not hungry or unhealthy, then you are good.

We do not feed to a particular label, but have noticed that we do not care for one brand, so avoid it generally -(based on the fact we fed our quail using that brand for a couple of months and even my 11yo noticed they looked generally unhealthy, so we switched back to the previous feed and they perked up noticeably). But, we have adjusted various aspects of our chicken keeping according to what our goals are: healthy chickens that lay eggs regularly (not necessarily every day).

Buy the feed you are comfortable spending money on. If they seem healthy, and not hungry or unhealthy, then you are good.

We do not feed to a particular label, but have noticed that we do not care for one brand, so avoid it generally -(based on the fact we fed our quail using that brand for a couple of months and even my 11yo noticed they looked generally unhealthy, so we switched back to the previous feed and they perked up noticeably). But, we have adjusted various aspects of our chicken keeping according to what our goals are: healthy chickens that lay eggs regularly (not necessarily every day).
Spill the beans.... what brand are you speaking of? I want to guess and say, 'Dumor'?

You didn’t ask, but here are some of my favorite “healthy” labels:

1. Organic maple syrup. Pretty sure no on ever sprayed their maple trees with pesticides in order to increase their maple syrup yields...but maybe I’m unaware.

2. Evaporated cane juice. Um, yeah.. sugar.

2. Oreos are vegan, and therefore healthy. Lol.

I feed based on need and consumption and then take price/non gmo/organic into play. The food i'm feeding now is for molters, it would cost a little over two dollars for 25lbs hardly bank breaking. The big thing is they'll eat it and everyone is perky and growing feathers so I didn't waste that money. Just be aware more expensive dosen't mean better, it isn't unheard of for chickens to not care about how much you spent or how healthy it is.:)

It's an individual or potentially a business decision. Me I feed a Non-GMO feed, am not particularly concerned with Organic, but do want to know where my ingredients come from and what their neighbors are doing. I don't really have an issue with genetically modified plants, what I do have is an issue with feeding my birds even trace amounts of roundup or Raid and by proxy eating it myself.

I'm not getting the feed I want right now, but it's still decent and runs me $12.00 for 50 pounds. I need to make the 2 hour trip to KY to check out the Amish mill. They sell a way better quality feed for $10.50 for 50 pounds. When the local co-op was milling my feed to my specs, it was $11.70 for 50 pounds.

What mill?

Well I think it is a life choice. I feed organic and I used Nature’s Best from TSC first then switched to Big Sky layer feed as it is no corn or soy feed. Well my body is what I put into it. I support organic farming practices and would like that available cheaper. I chose Big Sky because it is similar to a Scratch n Peck feed but not as expensive. Corn is not a very good protein mostly carb and sweet. Just tastes good. Soy has been linked to food allergies especially GMO soys and there are just better proteins for chickens. That is my rationale and I do pay more for a 50 lb bag of feed but feel I am healthier for it. I have a small flock and feel I can spoil them and me.:oops:

I feed based on need and consumption and then take price/non gmo/organic into play. The food i'm feeding now is for molters, it would cost a little over two dollars for 25lbs hardly bank breaking. The big thing is they'll eat it and everyone is perky and growing feathers so I didn't waste that money. Just be aware more expensive dosen't mean better, it isn't unheard of for chickens to not care about how much you spent or how healthy it is.:)

What brand do you feed?

Where the hell do you get 25 lbs of feed for $2?!!! Fess up!!! :rant

Back
Top Bottom