1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I really need grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThinkingChickens, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    While at the feed store picking up layer feed and chick starter I inquired about some grit. The guy laughed at me and told me that my chickens, who free range most of the day, would find their own rocks and such and that grit was not necessary. Really? I hear so many folks talking about it on here and making grit feeders out of PVC. Is this only for chickens who are confined? Soon my girls will have a walk in run and will spend more time inside the run. Will I then want to purchase grit? Hate it when feed shop employees make me feel like an idiot. LOL

2. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Grit's not so expensive. I put up a little bunny feeder with a screened bottom on the side of their run. It keeps it clean, and rain drains off. If they need it, they eat it. If they don't, they won't. Our girls sometimes hit it hard, other times not. You sure don't want an impacted crop. It's not fun to mess with. [​IMG]

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Mine free range everyday, but I still offer it to them. They can "probably" do without it if they are free range. Grit is cheap so I always keep some out and ya know what, that dish gets emptied from time to time. That alone should tell you something.

4. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    i try to keep a small supply separate from other feed for my birds in pens. that's what i recommend

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    L*A*G* :

i try to keep a small supply separate from other feed for my birds in pens. that's what i recommend

same with oyster shell​

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I offer it from time to time but it is not offered on a daily basis. My chickens free range and they find their own grit. The reason that I know is because I do daily poop check and I see itty bitty tiny pebbles and rocks in their poop, so they are getting their grit when they free range. They free range all day every day.

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I agree about having it out there and I know it to be inexpensive. What is funny is he didn't want to sell me any. In fact, the only kind they had was the overpriced stuff they sell for parakeets and canaries. I'm going to go to the larger feed store in town when I get a chance and I'll pick some up. I do offer oyster shell. I definitely don't want an impacted crop and since we have such a small flock I'm trying hard to give them everything they'd need or want! Ugh, makes me mad at this guy though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by