Do I really need Grogel?

wings

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Massachusetts
I am going to be getting 6 chicks from my local feed store in the spring. The chicks will be from MMM, and they will be a few days old when I pick them up.

My question is: Do I need to give the little peeps Grogel once I bring them home? (The feed store is only a five minute drive from my house.)
If I need it, where can I get it? What are the chances that my feed store will have it?

Gro-gel is only meant to re-hydrate day old chicks after their two day ordeal in shipping. Think of it as Gatorade for baby chicks. After they are up and stable, there is no longer any use for it.

PS: Donʻt forget to dip your chicks beaks into the waterer upon arrival. Otherwise, they donʻt make the mental connection very quickly and may dehydrate too.

I use powdered Gatorade (orange) mixed half the strength that you would for yourself and gave them that for 3 days after they arrived and they all did great and really seemed to miss the orange water after I quit using it. Three days may actually have been too much but I lessened the mix in the water each day I also added a squirtof Poly-Vi-Sol the first day I can't seem to find the vitamin/electrolyte mix near here without ordering it via mail.

Back
Top Bottom