Do I really need to supplement?

Quote:
If chickens are in the pasture, do you still need to supplement with oyster shell or do they pick that up on their own?

Oyster shell and grit are two different things and serve two different purposes in a chicken's body.
Grit is necessary for a chicken to grind up their feed. If your chickens free-range, they'll find plenty of grit in the form of small rocks/stones.
Oyster shell is necessary for laying hens. It replaces the calcium that they are putting into the production of their eggs. It's not something they are going to find in free-ranging.
The layer feed I use has calcium already added. I chose to offer them more than the small amount in the feed. The hens that need it, take it. Chickens are very good about regulating their calcium needs on their own.

Last edited:
I agree. We can't be sure that laying hens will find enuf calcium foraging.

The modern strains of chickens produce 200++ eggs, each laying cycle. That's a long way from what the Junglefowl is capable of. From what I've read, the Junglefowl only only has one, 8-egg clutch per season. Imagine the difference in their requirements for calcium from domestic hens!

I was a little surprised to learn what a big deal it was for a poultry science breeding program to find the first 1000 eggs-in-a-lifetime hen. James Dryden earned a place the Ag Hall of Fame for that accomplishment - about 100 years ago.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom