Do I remove old shells from incubator?

redcomb

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 23, 2007
Hi, I have my first batch of hatching chicks going on now. Do I remove the old shells from the incubator to keep the chicks from getting caught under them?
Thanks!

no, leave them alone, and leave the chicks in also after they hatch...its ok to keep them in there 24hrs they say...Im in the middle of hatching also...my very first time....

36033_dsc_0704.jpg

36033_dsc_0708.jpg

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
It's not really easy. Some birds you can tell just by the wing feathers. But, you have to know exactly what breed you have, and what the traits are....

Easiest way (and it isn't foolproof) is to flip the bird over. Gently use a finger to pull the skin away from the vent, moving towards the belly. You have to be careful, or you can cause the bird injury.

A female will have a dull pink flat spot. A male will have a shiny bump. Don't bet that you'll get it right every time, but it can give you a pretty good start.
3 years ago
HOW DO YOU MARK YOUR BABY CHICKS? NAIL POLISH ON THE TOES??? MARKER??? ANY IDEAS???

Last edited:
I have been barely opening the brinsea and sneaking the shells out, but the humidity rises quite a bit when a chick hatches and it stablizes immediately. (The thing has quite a few eggs in it, no room for chicks, eggs, and empty shells too.)

I would never open a styrofoam incubator to remove shells, not even my genesis 1588. Just too much of an opening, and causes the humidity to drop too much, and takes too long for it to rise again.

Thank you. This is a styrofoam incubator. I wouldn't have even thought to remove the shells, except I read it somewhere yesterday to do so.

You know, anxious first time mother!

Ok, my little buff...that was hatched this morning early before maybe 6am...is pecking at the feet of another one that only has toes out of the shell....is it hungry? do I need to move it??? its jumping and moving, running and pecking...I only have 2 so far....and 2 with legs showing....and 4 with crack shells...wanting to break out....

Hi insiderart... sounds like good advice. my incubator is styro as well. I was just concerned because one of the shells has enveloped the "business" end of an egg that looks like it is trying to hatch! thanks for the advice about humidity.

Hi 2txmedics... our buffs are hatching now too. just one so far... but we aren't counting them yet... he he he...
the ducklings that hatched last seemed to 'help' other little ducklings escape the eggs. not hungry, not aggressive, just curious and probably instinctive. Second one is just coming now and the first one was instantly at the shell and chirping at it.
what fun!

Back
Top Bottom