Do I still need to feed egg maker feed when not laying for the winter?

My hens are still laying. Some breeds such as the Buckeye are noted for being better winter layers. I still feed them layer pellets and give the scratch in the morning and in the evening. You might consider only giving them scratch at evening time just before they are due to go in and roost for the night. I do give them a little bread in the afternoon or greens or whatever I have. I'm running about 50% lay each day.

Also never forget to provide them with "insoluble" and "soluble" grit.

I wish everyone a safe winter,

Rancher

Sounds like your feeding Blue Seal.

I would do breeder pellets year around with oyster shell free choice. That way you never have to worry about what you worrying about now, and the roosters dont get 300% more calcium than they need. If you want to go with Purina you can feed non medicated starter (18% protein) or flock raiser (around 20%) with oyster shell free choice. You will be surprised at any of the above options or even a mixture of any of the above when combined with oyster shell free choice year around...not just in the winter.

About corn and certain other grains being "hotter" than others. This is absolutely true. It is true that all digestion both takes energy and produces energy in differing forms depending on where the calories are coming from in that particular food. Corn sugar is digested and produces excess energy in the form of body heat mainly. I feed a very minimal amount of scratch but I do up the amount of cracked corn in the winter (whole corn takes more energy to digest and therefore has less excess energy). As long as corn does not comprise more than 20% of the total daily feed, you will be fine. In my opinion. This is an educated opinion as the study of feed stuffs in chickens has become an addictive hobby of mine.

Quote:
Im not exactly sure why they have stopped. I dont supplement light which is what I think is probably the reason. It has been in the 20's here but I've read a lot of opinions about giving the hens heat. Everybody has said it isnt neccesary unless its really cold.. I had tried setting up a light in the coop but for some reason my timer doesnt want to work for me.
But I have also thought that maybe the chickens need to run a natural cycle. If I didnt supplement light they would naturally slow down or stop laying. I've wondered if it is healthier for them since its what they would naturally do on their own? Any opinions on this?

Quote:
The idea that corn warms birds I don't believe comes from digestion producing energy, I've never heard it explained that way.

Every time I've thought or heard of corn keeping birds warm, it has always been how fat corn makes them. Corn is carbohydrates, if they don't use it, it just turns to fat. Fat will make anything/anyone hot, ask any obese person and they'll be burning up in a room while people who are their correct weight will be fine.

How well it helps I'm not sure, but I know in the summer birds with a little extra weight will appear to be burning up versus birds that are in shape.

ETA:I do agree that it is not nutritionally complete, but if it is supplementing a free range diet perhaps it's alright.

Not really. Basically what happens is the simpler the sugar the more it either burns up or gets passed through the kidneys. The more complex the suger/carbohydrate the less heat it produces while being digested and the easier it turns to fat.
Corn sugar burns almost completely in the digestive process and produces heat. Any excess not burned up (if the bird is extremely lazy for example) gets passed through the kidneys. With all warm blooded mammals it is the complex carbs that makes you fat..not the simple sugar. Have you ever heard if you are on a diet and have a sweet craving, suck on a piece of hard candy. This is because it is simple sugar and what does not burn up gets urinated away. If you eat a piece of cake you are eating complex sugars and that will turn to fat.

Last edited:
Quote:
So I can give my layers breeder pellets all year and that is ok? Just as long as I have oyster shell readily available?

I have had -29* already...NO added heat, NO added light....I am not getting the eggs I was getting, but am still getting a dozen a week or so...

I am still feeding Layer Feed, with oyster shell and crushed egg shell on the side, they still pick at it...I would not discontinue the layer feed, you never know if you will get an egg or two!

My shells are VERY strong BTW....

Quote:
Im not exactly sure why they have stopped. I dont supplement light which is what I think is probably the reason. It has been in the 20's here but I've read a lot of opinions about giving the hens heat. Everybody has said it isnt neccesary unless its really cold.. I had tried setting up a light in the coop but for some reason my timer doesnt want to work for me.
But I have also thought that maybe the chickens need to run a natural cycle. If I didnt supplement light they would naturally slow down or stop laying. I've wondered if it is healthier for them since its what they would naturally do on their own? Any opinions on this?

I think it's more light than a heat thing. We're in MN and it's been under 30 and at times a lot lower. Our girls are only 9 months old and most days we get an egg from all 5 of them. Our coop is fully insulated, we don't plan on giving them any extra heat. They may get some heat from our new system to keep the water from freezing. A metal waterier on top of a terracotta pot with a 40 Wat light bulb under it. It is giving off a little heat. Could very well be the breeds you have don't lay well in the winter. We have 4 RSL and 1 Dom.

Quote:
The idea that corn warms birds I don't believe comes from digestion producing energy, I've never heard it explained that way.

Every time I've thought or heard of corn keeping birds warm, it has always been how fat corn makes them. Corn is carbohydrates, if they don't use it, it just turns to fat. Fat will make anything/anyone hot, ask any obese person and they'll be burning up in a room while people who are their correct weight will be fine.

How well it helps I'm not sure, but I know in the summer birds with a little extra weight will appear to be burning up versus birds that are in shape.

ETA:I do agree that it is not nutritionally complete, but if it is supplementing a free range diet perhaps it's alright.

Not really. Basically what happens is the simpler the sugar the more it either burns up or gets passed through the kidneys. The more complex the suger/carbohydrate the less heat it produces while being digested and the easier it turns to fat.
Corn sugar burns almost completely in the digestive process and produces heat. Any excess not burned up (if the bird is extremely lazy for example) gets passed through the kidneys. With all warm blooded mammals it is the complex carbs that makes you fat..not the simple sugar. Have you ever heard if you are on a diet and have a sweet craving, suck on a piece of hard candy. This is because it is simple sugar and what does not burn up gets urinated away. If you eat a piece of cake you are eating complex sugars and that will turn to fat.

Maybe I am wrong, I haven't read very many books. But I know from personal experience and watching old timers if they ever wanted to put weight on a bird they added whole corn. I've picked birds up that were on a pellet diet and most of the time they feel a little under weight to me, give them whole corn and in a month or so they'll either be in perfect shape or fat depending on how much they got.

I can only speak from personal experience on that, I have no books to quote. I may research it later myself.

ETA: And yes, I've been around chickens long enough I know what the difference in a underweight bird, fat bird, and a bird in perfect shape feels like.
big_smile.png

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Quote:

Maybe I am wrong, I haven't read very many books. But I know from personal experience and watching old timers if they ever wanted to put weight on a bird they added whole corn. I've picked birds up that were on a pellet diet and most of the time they feel a little under weight to me, give them whole corn and in a month or so they'll either be in perfect shape or fat depending on how much they got.

I can only speak from personal experience on that, I have no books to quote. I may research it later myself.

ETA: And yes, I've been around chickens long enough I know what the difference in a underweight bird, fat bird, and a bird in perfect shape feels like.
big_smile.png

God bless,
Daniel.

I have to agree with DT,

Chris

Corn offers a source of complex carbs, giving the body fuel for a long period. Corn is a starchy food, which means the body must break down and digest the carbs in corn before creating glucose for energy. Depending on the type of corn, corn may also offer a few grams of sugar, or simple carbs. Sweet corn offers small amounts of sugar, whereas regular corn contains little to no sugar.

Carbs come in simple and complex forms. Simple carbs are also called simple sugars/ sugars and are found naturally in fruits and milk and can also be made, in the form of table sugar and other refined sugars. Simple carbs give your body a quick boost of energy that does not last long. Complex carbs offer a slower-burning, steadier source of energy and should be your main source of carbs. When choosing simple carbs, natural forms of sugar in fruits and vegetables are better than refined sugars added to food, as natural sugars offer more nutrients.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom