Do I take out the chicks or should I wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenphile, Mar 22, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Two of my 8 chicks hatched last night! [​IMG] Another one is pipped and nothing for the others yet. Should I take the hatched ones out after they have dried(12 + hours right) or wait for them all to hatch before opening the bator. I have read that some might take until day 23 or so and that chicks don't have to eat for 24 hrs right?

Should I just reach in real quick and grab them or wait. They were early and not due until Monday unless I messed up the time frame. I will be setting up the brooder today! Whoo Hoo!

This was my first successful hatch with a homemade incubator and I was worried because before I read it was a no no I washed the eggs with detergent before I put them in the bator. Oops!

I am unsure of the breed because I had three roosters in the pen at one time.(Jersey Giant, Buff Giant Cochin and the current king a black silkie) The hen was a California white. The babies sure look like Jersey Giant chicks in this picture though.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/images/product_images/Popup/chicks_jersey_black_giant2.jpg

thanks
    Chris

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It wont hurt anything to leave everything as it is now. I usually leave newly hatched chicks in the incubator for at least 24 hours after they hatch in order to allow them to fully dry.

3. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    So the two that have been in there awhile I should remove but keep the one in there that just hatched? I don't want them to be too hungry or thirsty.

thanks
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by