Do I want this rooster? Update: He killed a hen Update: Sunday

I'm not hijacking your thread... But visiting roosters is a spot I'm still sensitive about.

A few years ago I lived on a ranch, had chickens, rent went up and had to leave ranch and give chickens away... But here's the REST of the story...

One rooster I had was particularly ornery. I didn't let him mate with the hens, and as much as he tried to show me he was boss, he lost every time. To the point that if I saw him getting close to my legs/feet and with a suspicious look about him I'd shoo him away with a swift kick (never connected).

Well his spitting image twin showed up one day, and started getting too close... I whipped out with the same kick I normally reserved for this rooster... but I connected. This rooster never even twitched. My foot hit him, and he fell over and just let out the most haggered, "McCAAAW" sound I've ever heard. He just laid there panting for a while while I inspected him. Even after my attack he was serene, looking at me like, "do you welcome all visitors like this? What a jerk!" He got up after some grain, shook himself off, pointed his beak above my head and walked home (or wherever he went). I saw him several months later, but he didn't come near my hens again after that day...

The original rooster had been behind the shed where I stored feed and tack... I bet he was laughing the whole time.

Quote:
Are you new to the whole boy-girl thing?
smile.png
"Hey baby. What are you doing for the next 2 1/2 minutes?" He's been in ready-but-not-yet mode for two days.... outside the fence. You're lucky if they got a "Brace yourself!"

LOL!

What a beautiful boy! I can't add anything that others haven't already said in the way of advice. I just wanted to add my vote for keeping him around. Your girls will grow accustomed to having him around and so will you. It's only once they're gone that the silence can be deafening! Hope everything turns out well for you, the handsome fella and your girls. Eagerly awaiting the next update!

Quote:
Are you new to the whole boy-girl thing?
smile.png
"Hey baby. What are you doing for the next 2 1/2 minutes?" He's been in ready-but-not-yet mode for two days.... outside the fence. You're lucky if they got a "Brace yourself!"

LOL!

Yes, I am so new....this is my first rooster having had hens for about 5 years. What a delight he is so far. I locked him in with the girls and checked on all of them about an hour after it got dark. He is roosting among them, all is well. I think this is going to be a great addition to my flock and my education....ha.

Quote:
Yaaay!! I'm so glad you decided to keep him Anne!!
ya.gif
I bet he's going to be a wonderful little man for both you and your girls. It sounds like he has all of the qualities one would want in a roo: Kind and considerate of his girls, protective of them, and just an all around charmer. This is no young cockerel to be sure!
wink.png

So, the next step would be.........A NAME!!!!
lol.png
Any ideas of what you're going to call him?

Quote:
Yaaay!! I'm so glad you decided to keep him Anne!!
ya.gif
I bet he's going to be a wonderful little man for both you and your girls. It sounds like he has all of the qualities one would want in a roo: Kind and considerate of his girls, protective of them, and just an all around charmer. This is no young cockerel to be sure!
wink.png

So, the next step would be.........A NAME!!!!
lol.png
Any ideas of what you're going to call him?

Serrin,
Yes, a name. Do you have any suggestions? I thought of "Rhett", kind of dashing, sexy and so handsome.

I like the name Rhett!
thumbsup.gif
I had a beautiful Welsummer roo that was named Rhett. Looked a lot like your new boy. I vote for Rhett!
wee.gif

Shelly

Oh! I like the name Rhett too! Actually, you could name him after just about any devastatingly handsome leading man or character and not go wrong! He really is a bowl full of eye candy, isn't he!?!
lol.png

How about Harrison (Ford) or maybe even Richard (Burton) Sean (Connery...the later years.
wink.png
) or perhaps even Errol (Flynn). Hmmm...Can you see that my tastes in leading men tend towards the swashbuckling types?
lol.png
But yes, Rhett would do just fine as well! Just fine indeed!

Oh SNAP! I Got it! ELVIS!! He's got all the bling of Elvis during the Vegas years and if he has a lovely voice to go with all that flash, all the more appropriate then!
wink.png
gig.gif

i'm so glad that he's settling in nicely!

i really like Rhett or Errol... swashbuckling and charming, with a bit of the tenderhearted side peaking out.

OH OH!! i know. you should name him Edmond Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo. there is this great line at the end of the 1934 film, when Dantes has been reunited with his one true love, Mercedes. they are sitting in a tree and his friend Mondego asks "Can we come up?" and Dantes, looking lovingly into Mercedes eyes, says "Get your own tree." it's one of my favorite movie moments.

Back
Top Bottom