Do "lap chickens" really exist?

I hear/see this term thrown around fairly frequently, and it makes me curious. How many (if any) of you have or know a chicken that genuinely will come sit/lay in your lap just because they enjoy it? Not for food, to peck at jewelry, etc. but simply because it enjoys lap-sitting?

Thanks for any input!
Oh my gosh.. I've had several lap chickens by now!

And they used to fight for my lap too- meaning, if one got up on my lap and another came around wanting to be held, pet or just sit there, it would peck at the other, just like they do when there is the hierarchy with food. They'd fight over the position!

With my first flock of seven pullets, they all were at first 'lap' chickens, but slowly as they matured it become that only about half were interested, and then in time, that dwindled to about 2 or 3 who sought to be with me when they would see me around. However, saying that, I noticed too that when one that was not a 'lap' chicken would get ill, they would come around to me again. They acted somewhat different than those which were always lap chickens, but it was like they wanted my attention, care. In retrospect, I have this sense that they felt I could make their pain/discomfort better, or that it was their way of telling me something was wrong and that they needed help. I've noticed this many times over now. In fact, now if a hen comes around to me, hangs around me, I know to keep in mind something is up with them. They want me to notice something and that they may need help with something. Most of the time,I just pick them up and hold and pet them for awhile. Sometimes this seems to be enough.

All this was totally unexpected when I decided to become a chicken owner. In all honesty, when I got them I was planning on butchering them myself as a lesson in 'where food comes from', seeing that we are all so removed from the processes necessary to have that yummy chicken dinner we all so love. Anyway, I have to say its all changed my mind completely about things, so much so I am considering going vegetarian.

Keep in mind, with my first flock, I treated all of them as if they were my babies- I didn't want to mess anything up, so I was a first time chicken mamma with them- being overly attentive. So, it ended up these became more of pets than livestock. Now, after several years, I have chickens that I'm sure don't really care a thing about me like those others did. I do believe that connections like this can happen in nature, just like you hear those stories of dogs adopting abandoned baby squirrels... something just imprints and away the relationship goes. The ones that really don't want to be around me were the ones raised in the coop and not by me, so I do think imprinting has a lot do to with getting a lap chicken.

I'd like to add too I once had a deaf chicken (or I highly suspected her as being hearing impaired) that would not only get up on my lap but stretched her neck out and stuff her head under my ear and under my long hair, and 'snuzzle'... meaning she's squirm until she found someplace comfortable within that space. She would then just kind of relax, as if she was super stressed and had relief just being there. We have this on video, but I'm too self conscious to put it up on you tube, but I have found other videos on you tube just like this. There is a one of a chicken 'hugging' a young boy that has been going viral recently for some time now. My deaf hen was exactly like that with me. My god, all this makes me miss her so much! Nothin' like being snuzzled by a chicken!

Oh I forgot to say I had a chicken who used to tug at my pant leg when I was around. She wanted to be held. She'd take her beak and bite the cloth and pull down a couple times. It was her way of saying, "hey, pick me up and hold me!", which I would do. She would sit with me for hours if I had the time to spare. Most often I had to put her down because I had to get back to work.

Has anyone had non-lap chickens that were able to train into lap chickens?

We have 3 girls that were already 5 weeks old when we got them. I don't think they had much human handling as chicks so they were pretty nervous about people. It took a little bit for them to eat treats from my hand. Now they are at the point where they are just starting to chase me down across the yard if they suspect I have treats.
smile.png
But if I sit down with them and try to get one to be a "lap chicken" they are still too nervous to try that, and they also do not like it if I try to slowly reach out to pet them. They will back away. I don't ever try to pick them up because as early experience showed, they will be scared of me for a few days after that. There hasn't been much need to pick them up. They return to their coop at night no problem and if I need to get them to go somewhere they are easy enough to "herd".

Wondering if they will always be a bit shy or whether they will just need more time? They are about 13 weeks old now.
I do know that the more time you spend with them, the more trust you will have from them. I'm certain it is possible to get a lap chicken out of non-lap chicken.. it just takes time. And yours definitely sound young enough to still 'imprint' that upon them. You have to win their trust though- no moves that would be aggressive and considered 'disrespectful' of that trust. I used to practice trying to build trust with my chickens by laying down with them in the grass and letting them be curious about me as much as I was curious about them and their world. Pick grass for them. Show them other curious things you found in the dirt... they like that. I got a pullet to play with me the other day by moving my fingers wildly in the grass. Wish I got that on video... it was kind of an amazing moment as I'd not seen that behavior before in chickens. It was more cat/kitten like.

Its like any relationship with people- if you abuse trust, (this means even thinking yourself higher than the other) don't expect much from that relationship. It won't be close. Also, make sure they know how much you care about them. Give them good and decent care- clean water, fresh bedding... it does not go unnoticed by animals, contrary to what humans believe about them. I do believe animals can sense authentic care, concern and respect in other creatures- i.e. humans. ... its not 'supernatural' but just normal intuition that goes hand in hand with daily survival in the wild.

I have a Buff Orpington who demands to sit with me the minute I sit down in a chair. She will walk up to me & lift her chest to say "pick me up - now". Once she's in my lap she will snuggle as close as possible & preen both me & her. Often she is so relaxed she will close her eyes to doze while I stroke her head & neck very gently. She is EXTREMELY jealous if I pick up another bird & will peck the bird once I put it down. She always comes to the roost at night when I put them in the house & hops up on her rail (about waist high) to get her rub of praise & compliment for being a "good girl". She is not my best layer for reasons I don't understand since she has no health issues nor is stressed in any way. I have wondered if handling is a factor, but doubt it. I always like to read the research reports &articles about how chickens don't have feelings, don't have human-like emotions & have to SMH. This bird clearly has the need to be shown affection, feels jealousy, wants to please me & even fakes laying when she sees me collect other birds' eggs & praising them. She absolutely knows I like to collect eggs & watches intently when I show each bird their egg & talk about if after taking it from the nest. Many reading this will think I'm a sentimentalist but I have an advanced degree in engineering & can say with total truth & proof that this bird is a "lap chicken" & often refer to her in that way when I tell people about her. The G-Kids are amazed that she seems to have so many clearly evident human traits. Her name, by the way is Peaches & all of my birds - her especially - know their names when I call them. They always respond vocally , but none but her will come to be held.

A couple years ago, I had 2 chickens who would jump up in our laps and sit for a while. Yes, initially, they jumped up for treats but then would stay for a while until something caught their attention or we got restless. They seemed to like being petted and fussed over. When we quit they would soon move on to other things. They also would jump up on our backs if we bent over too long. ;-) The ones we allow to run loose in the yard will follow us around. Probably wanting treats but they are also curious and have to inspect everything we do. I also work a lot in my flower gardens, weeding and digging and planting, etc. They like to see what I'm doing hoping I'll scare up bugs. When I dig a hole, I have to be careful I don't cut off toes or a head (especially the duck) when I plunge the spade back in. They are so much company for me and less trouble than a toddler child. We enjoy them endlessly! Barbara and Roger

Yes, I have a buff
orpington who jumps on my lab every time I sit down in the coop. She will jump up on my lap rather than eat in the morning. She settles in and will the a nap if I let her.

Back
Top Bottom