Do mallard ducks lay eggs everyday and can you eat the eggs?

We have 3 mallard hens and 1 pekin which we are pretty sure is a hen, no drake tail. All were hatched end of March so just over 5 months old. We have no eggs from pekin yet but the mallards are laying like wild fire everywhere - chickens nest box, middle of yard and today found about 5 in a make shift nest one must have created deep under a boxwood like bush.

A co-worker told me she hatched mallard eggs in a Styrofoam cooler that she kept at a humid 90 degrees. Thus far this has not worked for us in terms of hatching. Additionally because we only have wild mallard drakes in neighboring creek unsure if eggs are fertile.

We are hesitate to eat the mallard eggs, I know it's ok but seriously what is best way to cook and do they have any unusual taste?

They are a little tricky to break open without breaking the yolk

We have two Mallard hens and they have been laying one every single day all year.
big_smile.png

@ barnyard betty - what do you do with the eggs? eat them? scrambled? I have so many right now!!

I have a lot too. All three hens (2Mallards and one Swedish) lay one egg every single day. Even throughout winter! There are a few friends of ours that use them for baking, they say it makes baked goods like cakes and cookies more delicate and rich, and we use them for baking as well and we sell them to a guy we know who likes to eat them. And have had a few people ask us for duck eggs for them to hatch and regularly give them some. And we just hatched out a few this week for us to keep. So it's a mix of things. I thought they would slow down last winter or even stop....but nope, there were 3 eggs there every morning!!
ep.gif
LOL!!

I have a lot too. All three hens (2Mallards and one Swedish) lay one egg every single day. Even throughout winter! There are a few friends of ours that use them for baking, they say it makes baked goods like cakes and cookies more delicate and rich, and we use them for baking as well and we sell them to a guy we know who likes to eat them. And have had a few people ask us for duck eggs for them to hatch and regularly give them some. And we just hatched out a few this week for us to keep. So it's a mix of things. I thought they would slow down last winter or even stop....but nope, there were 3 eggs there every morning!!
ep.gif
LOL!!

@barnyard betty ....sorry I'm a bit slow sometimes....how are they fertile if you only have hens??

@Krischick, As long as your duck isn't molting, I would be looking out for eggs. My mallard started laying her fist fall, but she was very good at hiding her nest.

As long as they aren't fighting, I wouldn't worry about separating the ducks and chickens. Your duck probably won't make a nest until after she has started laying.

Back
Top Bottom