Do Marans grow at a faster rate?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RGBistro, Sep 23, 2011.

1. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Brooder A has a Cuckoo Marans. The 5-week old chick towers her Black Australorp sister, hatched the same day/week.

Brooder B has three 3-week old French Marans. ALL of them are already bigger than the 4-week old welsummer, blue andalusian, barred rock and turken.

Normal? Just curious... thanks!

- Kim

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes. It's why I love using them for dual purpose, or crossing them with other good breeds for dual purpose. They grow big, but unlike heritage breeds, they grow fast. [​IMG]

Also remember, if your other chickens are hatchery stock, that's the other thing. French Marans will naturally grow bigger than them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Our first BCM was huge! I was convinced that she was a cockerel for the longest time. My husband thought that she looked like a raven, so her name is Edgar. [​IMG] Our other BCMs, although not as large, have followed the same naming trend . . . Poe, AnnaBelle Lee, etc.

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

That's how it worked for me too. Marans grew the fastest and stayed the biggest! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by