Do meat cockerels start to crow before you butcher them?

Generally no, but I have heard attempts at crowing from some. Not full out crowing though. You can order the females from most hatcheries if you want to be sure to stay undercover.

Many believe that the hens taste better. I have to say that they do seem to taste stronger, and I do like them better but I like the boys too. Most hens will not get to be the same size so if your looking for a big chicken to do whole you want some boys. The females have more even thickness to the breasts so they cook better on the BBQ, the boys are thicker in the center and so the outside bits are overcooked by the time the center is done.

Been wittling down the flock of Black Broilers I bought from Ideal. My motto is "when they crow, they go"

Not that I cant have the noise, it just is my schedule.

BTW, the Broilers grow fast, and act like chickens, but their meat to bone ratiois not that good, but I fed them turkey grower and massive quantities of greens, and they were very lean, which was the goal.

I have some Standard cornish males, Delaware and White Rock pullets i will begin breeding, and crossing for my own meat broilers. I know i can do as good or better than the Broilers.

Quote:
Chicken heaven didn't have him scheduled yet, apparently
lol.png

Can the cocks fertilize a hen before they start crowing? If so you can let them do their job of creating a new generation then eat them, all before they start making noise pollution.

Wait a minute.. Cocks start crowing at 6 months of age and chickens start laying at 4 months old.

If the cocks are fertile at 4 months old too that means you've got 2 months for them to make chicks before they start crowing. They should be able to fertilize your whole flock within 2 months.

Last edited:
Cocks start crowing at 6 months of age

That's news to me! mine start crowing around 10-12 weeks average! My 1 cx roo didn't crow, he was dispatched at 10 weeks.​

Back
Top Bottom