Do meat cockerels start to crow before you butcher them?

Shrader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm considering falling in line behind dangerouschicken and buying a few meat birds.
I've never even considered this option, but I am also trying to "live off the land," so it seems like a good bet.
Are most meat birds cockerels? Is there a difference in taste with the pullets?
I technically can't have roosters in my neighborhood.
Will they start crowing before it's time for the axe?

If you are growing out the cornish cross they are ready at 8 - 10 weeks (dependson males or females). The ones I raised where all males and never crowed. They were sweet boys and clucked and bokked.

I, too am interested in trying meat birds. I have found out that the Cornish X begin to crow @ 6 months or so... since they are ready to butcher between 8-11 weeks this is a non-issue!
yippiechickie.gif

I also live in town (for now, hee hee!)
big_smile.png

Great pic DC!
Are you ready to butcher them yourself?
Do you have the equipment? The space? The stomach for it?
(Not sure I'm ready with the latter -- but I'm thinking about it seriously.)

You should read the latest post on my blog (see my website link). It is all about my first time slaughtering my own chook.

Remember, it is a learning experience. It may be freaky the first few times (it was for my husband), but you WILL find your chicken slaughtering groove
lol.png
Always keep in mind that they have been raised humanely, and that their butchering is their destiny. You are the owner and you decide their fate. If you didn't feed them, they would die. BUT you choose to take good care of them, so you have earned the right to EAT them and ENJOY them.

CONGRATS on your decision.

This is my second time raising cornish and there was some serious crowing in both batches. They kinda' sound pitiful, like they don't quite know what they are doing, and my neighbors (less than 20 feet away from the garage I had the first batch in) never heard them. You should be okay! Even the batch I have now, on pasture at my new place, can't compete with the heritage breed cockerels that are in the barn (3 monthes old). Mine meat bitrds are just about ready to butcher (they are 6-7 weeks old). Hope this helps!

Mine are 9 weeks old and some are crowing. They will meet the great frying pan Monday afternoon. This is our first batch of Cornish X's to raise. This fall I want to try the red and black broilers from Ideal to see how they compare. They are HUGE !!!:eek:

One of my 9 week olds crowed today for the first time. He was supposed to be processed this morning but we woke up to no power and no water. Needless to say he got an extra day.

Back
Top Bottom