Do mite eggs stay on feathers a while?

Katattack29

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
Missoula, MT
So I have two buff orphingtons that showed signs of mites. I checked their vents and there were visible bugs. Dusted with permethrin the past two weeks and no visible bugs, the girls seem happy again, but there are still what I assume are egg clumps at the base of their feathers. Do these take a while to go away? I tried to pull them off and they were very hard and didn’t budge. I just haven’t been able to find a thread about this. We sprayed the coop with permethrin but in case of red mites due to summer, but pretty sure it’s northern fowl mites since there were so many on the bird during the day. We will dust them again today and this will be the 3rd time.

Attachments

• 2188E80D-DB50-41FE-AC23-89D9D277CE42.jpeg
    2188E80D-DB50-41FE-AC23-89D9D277CE42.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 89
You can scrub them off in a water tub with a toothbrush, but it's a heck of a lot of work and you'll inevitably accidentally pluck a few anyhow
Usually how long the mite eggs hatched ? Because idk I could pluck out all the neck feathers lol .. I try to scrub while bathing the hen it didn’t really work n I tried the lice comb but it didn’t help either.

Back
Top Bottom