tater tati

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2019
Hiii, i'm new to this website. How do you know if your chickens trust you? My chickens eat out of my hands, follow me around (because they think i have food) they even make noises whenever i talk to them! they also don't seem too afraid being very close to me. Does this mean they trust/love me? What are other signs that they do?

They don't see you as a threat or predator, otherwise they would scatter. So trust.... it looks like... love, that's a stretch.

I have a large free range flock of different varieties, if they see me and the food trays are empty, or they are out and about and they think they are, then there is a mad rush and it is very difficult to walk with fowl darting back and forth in front of me.... There is no affection in this, although I have hand reared many of the chickens, so they will accept handling, and being moved around without protest, but it's familiarity, that's all.

If they squat it means they respect you, but that is all I know.
No, it means they are submitting to your dominance and may want to be mated.

They don't see you as a threat or predator, otherwise they would scatter. So trust.... it looks like... love, that's a stretch.

I have a large free range flock of different varieties, if they see me and the food trays are empty, or they are out and about and they think they are, then there is a mad rush and it is very difficult to walk with fowl darting back and forth in front of me.... There is no affection in this, although I have hand reared many of the chickens, so they will accept handling, and being moved around without protest, but it's familiarity, that's all.
Ditto Dat!!
Very well said!

Thank you for this!

I don’t know if chickens feel love, but I have some that were bought, rescued and hand raised. They all run around me and hang out if they think I have food and turn up on my patio at scratch o’clock and yell at me until I come out. My hand raised are special though, one always finds a way to get onto my shoulder and go to sleep, one harasses me until I cuddle it so it can sleep and the other pecks me until I put her on my lap and rest my hand on her back - then she sleeps. My hand raised are alway around me if I’m out there regardless of what I am doing, they think I am part of their flock - the other girls and boys hang out with their own clicks when their is no food around but do come and say hello if they haven’t seen me for a while. Trust with chooks seems to be when they are comfortable with you being there and don’t keep their distance if you move closer. With Roos I found it is when they don’t do an alarm call when they see you. If one of your ladies squat for you she is submitting to you and trusts you. If you chase one off because she is eating all your kale in the vegetable patch and within 2 seconds she is back at your feet eating it again - she trusts you and just lol’d at your reprimand. If a broody doesn’t drop her wings and swear when you approach her - she trusts you. If a mama hen hangs out with you with her new super cute chicks she trusts you and knows you won’t hurt them. There are so many different ways they show you they like you, you just have to keep an eye out for it! You get out of the girls and boys what you put in - if you treat them well they will become your little best buds.

Back
Top Bottom