Do my hens have mareks disease?

amyreed90

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
I lost one of my silkies over a year ago, she kept falling over, would put one leg in front of the other, lost weight and passed away. 8 months later I lost her sister, she became lethargic, wouldnt come out, started having labored breathing and died. I did have a problem with lice at the time. Them two silkies were with 4 buff orphingtons and a bantam silkie all them are fine and haven't been vaccinated. I got a new pen and brought 7 more silkies, i put my bantam silkie in with them. I've had my new ones since April and now one of the new ones is falling over, tucking her neck in and losing weight. Could it be mareks passed on by either buffs or my bantam silkie? I don't think the bantam silkie has been vaccinated either but I've had her a year and a half with no problems. I have pics of all three, the first two have passed away.
Screenshot_20231002_145002_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231002_145242_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231002_145253_Gallery.jpg

It's very hard to say if Marek's disease is what is going on without a necropsy to confirm it. That is the only way to know for sure. There are some other things that can mimic the same symptoms. Silkies are more susceptible to it, but also can have nerological issues due to their vaulted skulls. Lymphoid Leukosis is another illness that can sometimes look like Marek's disease. Cancers are not uncommon.
I would go over the bird thoroughly, looking for any signs of injury hiding in feathers. Is it molting? Get a look at droppings, normal or abnormal, pictures are welcome? Check crop function. Is the bird eating and drinking? Do you know when it last laid? Check inside beak and throat for any plaques or lesions. Any respiratory symptoms, facial swelling, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, eye discharge? Offer some scrambled egg, canned tuna, regular feed mixed in water, see if you can get her to eat anything. I would also get her on a B complex tablet or capsule once daily, human ones you can get at any pharmacy.
If you end up losing her, I would highly recommend you have necropsy done. That will tell you if Marek's is the reason, which is important information to have. Of if it's something else entirely, and whether it will impact the rest of your flock.
Necropsy resources:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

She was quite a lively bird always running away now she cant be bothered. If i put her down she just falls over but then gets back up and walks for a short while. Doesnt appear to have any injuries. No respiratory symptoms. I've checked her over for lice didn't notice any problems on her skin. She has diarrhea, is eating but not her usual amount. Feels like she's lost half her weight. I have given her rooster booster which is a multivitamin. I was going to separate her but the others seem to be helping her and a thinking it would be cruel to put her by herself. Thanks

The B complex has much higher doses, sometimes those higher doses are needed for a period of time. The B's are very safe, extra will be excreted in droppings.
Have you ever wormed them or had a fecal test done to check for worms? Internal parasites are a possible cause of runny droppings and weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom