Do my hens need feed at all times?

Two of my pet rats chased my 65 lb shepherd mix from his bed lol.
We had dockyard rats as a problem. I always told my troops that they should give any leftover meat to any of the cats who came by (build them strong). The cats developed to deal with the threat of the rats and those were pretty huge cats. Sometimes a bunch of rats and cats would get into it with each other in groups.

I had a pet cat who was found in the yard unweaned. Mom might have died. I took him in and kept him. At full grown, his top canine teeth were around 4/5ths of an inch long and stuck out over his bottom lips when his mouth was closed. he weighed about 14 pounds. Gorgeous boy, black as night with beautiful green eyes.

The chickens need access to feed and water during all daylight hours. If free-ranging, giving feed twice a day can be done, but requires more management and care to make sure all get enough.

The mice and rats around here have shown no fear of my chickens at night nor have the squirrels during the day.

It is best to have feed and water 24/7. Chickens can come off the roost earlier than daylight, I've heard that they can see better in low light, not sure if that is accurate but it fits with what I have seen. Putting up the feed at night is a good preventive, might delay a rat colonization, but once they find the feed rats will happily feed during daytime.

I leave the feed and water out 24/7. I guess I've never thought about doing it any different. We have motion sensor lights that come on several times a night and the girls will often
go out and eat or drink. We don't have mouse problems, as there are a lot of other critters that prey on them.

Do my hens need feed at all times?​

No, is the simple answer.
Like any other creature they need certain quantities of nutrients daily (roughly).
It all depends on how the chickens are kept.
If they range during the day and the forage quility is good then some people manage with one feed a day.
Two feeds a day is preferable even when ranging; one in the morning and one at night.
However, if one keeps chickens fully confined then having feed available during daylight hours may prove to be the easiest option. One could feed them fixed amounts throughout the day if one has the time; say three or four feeds each day.
What should be born in mind is the chickens digestive system doesn't slow down overnight while they roost, so ensuring they have food in their crop when they go to roost is important.

Of course, even a Parakeet and Canary have bird seed available at all times. Free range chickens will even stroll back from scratching around in the field and woods to snack on some chicken feed and grab a quick drink.

Back
Top Bottom