Do my hens need feed at all times?

Chicken_Chick12

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
Hello, my Chickens are all around 17 weeks old. I have two California Whites and One Calico princess, these are my first chickens so I have lots of questions! Do my hens need access to feed all day? They are still on chick starter as none of them are laying yet. I have just been giving them feed at night before I close the coop but I’m worried this is wrong. All help is appreciated!

Yes, they should have access to feed and water all day long. Check the feed package-- it almost certainly has feeding directions, telling you to keep it available at all times.

(But they do not need actually need feed or water in the dark while they are sleeping, because they will not eat or drink then. Whether to leave it out all night is up to you. Some people like to leave it available at all times, while some others take the feed away after dark so no rodents or bugs can get it.)

Hello, my Chickens are all around 17 weeks old. I have two California Whites and One Calico princess, these are my first chickens so I have lots of questions! Do my hens need access to feed all day? They are still on chick starter as none of them are laying yet. I have just been giving them feed at night before I close the coop but I’m worried this is wrong. All help is appreciated!
The only time they don't need access is when they are roosting.

Chickens, at least adults, will kill mice and younger rats, but only during the day. At night, rodents are safe.
Rats will eat eggs and kill chickens, and must be eliminated however you can. Mice are more of an ongoing problem, must keep them down to near zero.
Management! Always a challenge, and there are times when Plan A needs to change to Plan B.
Mary

Yes, you will need to leave the feed and water out for them all night. Rodents won’t eat it because they are afraid they’ll be eaten by the chickens .
This is not true. Rats aren't afraid of chickens at all.

Yes you should be giving your birds access to feed ALL day long. You can pick it up at night time.

Back
Top Bottom