Do my pullets need a flock block to prevent boredom?

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
I have 6 pullets between 4-8 months old - 3 Amaracaunas, a Cochin, a Silkie and an Olive Egger. They have crumbles available at all times and then once a day they get about a quart of a treat mix I make up with black sunflower seeds, cracked corn and mealworms. They are in a chicken tractor so they also have pretty good access to fresh grass.

My question is, do they need a flock block to prevent boredom? They don’t get to freerange so I wonder if a flock block would be helpful in preventing boredom. I’m not very handy in the kitchen so I would buy a commercial flock block as opposed to baking something for them.

Your thoughts?

Lol when I saw those flock blocks I thought I would never buy one. And no, they don't "need" it. But I figured, heck, its winter time and their activity is reduced so why not give it a shot. There isn't a whole lot left of it, and they seemed to enjoy picking at it so it wasn't a waste. Maybe a tad expensive for the amount of feed that's in it, but I certainly didn't have time to try and figure out how to make one.

I actually love the little red cage for flock blocks at TSC. I stuff a bunch of leftover greens and wilted lettuce and cucumber peels into it and hang it for the girls to work at on rainy days when they don't get recess. Every last bit is gone from the pinata when I get home from from work. I have the seed blocks themselves but haven't used one yet -- figure I'll save them for a blizzard or something.

Back
Top Bottom