Do Not Use Crushed Granite!!!

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I just wanted to warn you all about crushed granite. I used to give my trio crushed granite on the side. Not I'm paying the price for it. One of my pullets is fighting for her life. Shes at the vet bleeding internally from the intestines because of the granite. I don't want any of you going through what I am right now.

Good luck with the bird. Mine have access to about 10 tons of crushed granite in the driveway and haven't had a problem in 10+ years. Are you sure it was crushed granite? Nothing mixed in? I've found pieces of polished glass in crops in the past. Internal bleeding is usually from parasitic or protozoic overload. Did your vet test for those?

I'm so sorry your bird is ill. The grit I offer is crushed granite. I'm wondering if your girl ate something in addition? You know how they can be! The other day I was changing the sand in their dust bath and looked up to see my apha girl, Tibet, running off with the plastic tab from the top of the bag. Man oh man did I go after her and what a battle to get it!

Last edited:
She Xrayed her and everything blood tests are coming back tomarrow if she makes it. I have more in the Cures/diesease section on her.

The grit sold for birds of all sorts is Granite-seems to work fine. I think your problem lies elsewhere.
Xrays-blood tests & vet hospital stay-must be some kind of chicken to be worth all that!

Im sorry about your chicken. If she doesnt make it, ask the doctor to open up her crop to see if it actually was the granite.
What made your doctor suspect that it was the granite grit that caused the problem?

The "base fines" that we packed onto our driveway are really sharp, is that the same as crushed granite?
It sure hurts like heck when I get a piece in my shoe but none of the chickens, ducks, or geese have had problems with it that Ive known of. Some of the grit we give them is called granite grit but it is round little pieces that arent sharp at all and dont look "crushed". Some of the grit we have used is called pigeon grit and it is weird red colored stuff that turns my hands red. The ducks gobble that up.

Chel

Egads that sounds awful! Are your other birds having the same trouble?

Again, Im sorry about your bird, I hope she recovers.
Chel

So we don't get off topic here I have more info on her in the Emergencies/diseases section on here. The others are fine.

I buy the small 5lb bags of crushed granite from the feed store to use as grit. I hope I don't have any trouble!!!!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom