Do OEG chickens make good layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pupsnpullets, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I've had some mixed breed OEG's in the past and they were continually broody. Is this normal, or are they worth keeping as layers? I can get them inexpensively (or free) from the Mexican community near here.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That is normal. Basically, OEG are more like 'wild' chickens than other chicken breeds. Fewer eggs, high broodiness, more natural instincts still intact in them etc. They can be fair layers if the eggs are continually taken however once one is in a broody mode and a couple eggs are in a nest for a day due to late collecting & several hens laying in same nest or you're away for a day or 2.. plop she goes..

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    OEG are not known for their great egg productivity...they do lay just not as regular as others...those probably are not Old English Game birds you are looking at...they are game birds but not OE...they are probably more of the asian varieties...still not known for egg production...they are known for going broody...Many game bird breeders let them raise their own young and even add other types of eggs to them to hatch

4. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    They are not known to be kept as layers. They mostly lay every other day.[​IMG]

5. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Thanks. Maybe I'll just get one to use as a broody and stick to laying varieties for egg production.

6. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What Kev said.
    My OEG hen lays every other day, tends to lay in clutches of eight to 11 eggs, then sets and broods. The Nankins do the same. Both types have more of the wild instincts intact, which also means that the roosters will take care of the older chicks so the hen can start a new clutch and brood.

7. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:Whoa... they're pretty hard core then, aren't they? Yep, I think 1 will be enough.

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i dont get many eggs from mine.. compared to my marans and EEs or "brown egg layers"

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    They can be pretty good layers, but on average I would rate them as just average egg layers, but they are very broody.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Definitely very broody! I have one OEG hen that is still fairly young. This past fall she would lay an egg every day. Of course, she went broody, and has now started laying again. I am fairly certain she is laying every other day, but she does lay good-sized white eggs.

They like to hide their nests though, so be sure to keep watch of them! Mine had a nest of 15 eggs when I found her! I just figured she had quit for the season [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by