Do Orpingtons fly??

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Do orpingtons ever fly?? like over the fence to go out to forage? I have that kind of set up and many of my birds fly over and go foraging - games, sussex, ee's. I haven't seen the orpingtons do it yet. I am wondering because I want to put them in a separate pen and I dont want them to fly out. I can put a top on it if i need to but I thought if they didnt fly out anyway, why bother?

thanks!

Last edited:
My orpingtons aren't very flighty, but why not just clip there wings if you are worried?
idunno.gif

Well in all the years with ours, we only had one get out over a 4ft fence, but i believe she jumped up onto a 18" stump and use that to fly the rest of the way over..she could not fly back in..cut the stump off completely never to have an orp out again unless left out..

typically, not fliers..

Charlie

Last edited:
That is great. I have a 5 foot fence, and I just dont want them to get out because I dont want the other roosters to get to them. I don't want any surprises when breeding time comes!

Mine can fly when they are youngish. They can still fly over a 4 ft fence at 6 months. By 1 year they are usually to big to manage to get their rumps in the air. But they can jump fairly high. My BO's from Jody can fly now easily over a fence. They are strong girls.

They are not yet a year old, Charlie. They still have some growing to do. All but one can fly up to the roosts which is close to 5 ft high.

Back
Top Bottom