Do Orpingtons fly??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LocoPollo, Mar 12, 2009.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Do orpingtons ever fly?? like over the fence to go out to forage? I have that kind of set up and many of my birds fly over and go foraging - games, sussex, ee's. I haven't seen the orpingtons do it yet. I am wondering because I want to put them in a separate pen and I dont want them to fly out. I can put a top on it if i need to but I thought if they didnt fly out anyway, why bother?

thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My orpingtons aren't very flighty, but why not just clip there wings if you are worried? [​IMG]

3. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

mine dont fly at all

4. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Mine have never flown out either.

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Well in all the years with ours, we only had one get out over a 4ft fence, but i believe she jumped up onto a 18" stump and use that to fly the rest of the way over..she could not fly back in..cut the stump off completely never to have an orp out again unless left out..

typically, not fliers..

Charlie

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

They sure do...when they're 7 weeks old [​IMG]

Mine fly up to my shoulder all the time...when they're grown, I can't help ya there...

7. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    That is great. I have a 5 foot fence, and I just dont want them to get out because I dont want the other roosters to get to them. I don't want any surprises when breeding time comes!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine can fly when they are youngish. They can still fly over a 4 ft fence at 6 months. By 1 year they are usually to big to manage to get their rumps in the air. But they can jump fairly high. My BO's from Jody can fly now easily over a fence. They are strong girls.

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

MissPrissy, you must have gotten all the flyers, ours are to big to do much other than waddle around on the ground here...LOLLLL

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are not yet a year old, Charlie. They still have some growing to do. All but one can fly up to the roosts which is close to 5 ft high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by