do osprey hawks go after chickens

jburts

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2014
this was interesting on what happened tonight before dark ,chickens were out in back yard I was outside as well, and looked up and there were 6 ospreys flying over the house and back yard, our kids have a pool so I don't know if they were trying to figure out the pool for fish or not,
but they were talking and flying over head and one of them was flying right over the back yard and I was hiding with the chickens under our huge snowball tree, I have never seen this before from them usually they fly over the house and go to the river,
and don't hang, out any suggestions on this if they would try to get my chickens, usually I don't have to worry about hawks in the summer, just the winter,
it has been really smoky due to forest fires, so don't know if that has anything to do with it or not,

Their fishers by nature but if one was a poor fisher, they might try to take a chick if their really hungry but not likely gonna happen.
They were probably just checking out the pool to see if anything was on the dinner table.

A couple possibilites. Raptors (not saying Ospreys) where working a thermal as part of southward migration that soon to be starting. Missiissippi Kites were foraging for dragonflies and the like.

Where is your location?

I have several in my area and YES they will go after smaller chickens. I have caught them on my security cameras grabbing my bantam hens.

I will 2nd that osprey will go after chickens. They migrate in coastal NC starting in September and return in March. A large female swooped down after our full grown Barred Rocks and Orpingtons with our large rooster and us in the backyard. It was not easily dissuaded.

Back
Top Bottom