Do peafowl kill snakes?

Ah yes that first picture is it!
smile.png

I am from India, and I've seen first hand what these Peafowl are capable of. They spur people; the mothers will even take on a full grown German Shepherd dog without hesitation. Make the most annoying noises. Poops like a goat. And my Dad once saw saw a peahen take down a full grown Russel's viper. They rip the head apart and do not eat them (The Russel's viper is really bulky like a Python). It's like more of a Lion-Hyena fight, IMO. The incident happened about 3-4 years back. I don't own peacocks, but I have a few roost on the Coconut trees in my yard!! They can be a pest most times, they do take down chicken!! Here in India, there are no Possum, Skunks, or Raccoons. The chief predator of Chicken in India would be Hawk, Monitor Lizard, Civet, Wild cat, and the stupid Cobra (they don't even have to enter the coop, they just blow the venom and you have a coop full of dead chicken)! Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Well to me peafowls are one of the most magnificient and amazing animal living on this planet. Their call is also quite nice to hear for us who love these birds, and well, all birds make a lot of poops so IMO, it isn't just peafowls. And well, I doubt peafowls will kill a chicken without any reason, most of the time they fight only for territory or for leadership, peahens will just defend themselves or their chicks, from what I've been reading in other threads by BYC members, but never go as far as killing other chickens unless maybe the chicken tries to kill them. They are sociable birds that will get along just well with other poultry birds, unless they see a threat in any of the poultry birds. Besides...

Quote:
I dont mix mine with chicken,because of disease. Other than that they get along fine with chickens.

But else yeah, they kill snakes but it is dangerous to just get a peafowl to deal with snakes. Ah well, this thread is old, replies already given, I don't really understand why you posted about peafowls being pests and such when the topic was on snakes and peafowls.

Last edited:
Well, you don't know me, so don't be my judge. Peacock is the national bird of India, so it cannot be kept as a pet. And, it's no secret that they are also considered as a pest here in India. Unfortunately some farmers do poison the birds, which is a severe punishable crime. I really think the peacock has an annoying call, which is subjective to some extent like art. And I only meant that their poop looks like a goat's poop. Haha! have a good day!?

I understand Amb3r,
our state bird is the mocking bird and they can be terrible in some places and there is nothing you can do about them, just like the hawks and eagles that kill poultry they are protect and unless you know how to denture them with out harming or harassing them they are free to do what that need to do to survive.

I love my cockatoo but they are a nuisance in their homeland.
You said the peafowl poop like goats? Strange mine poop like my other birds and my goats Pooh looks like rabbit poop. LOL

So it is obvious you don't like Peas so what kind of birds friends do you have?

Well, you don't know me, so don't be my judge. Peacock is the national bird of India, so it cannot be kept as a pet. And, it's no secret that they are also considered as a pest here in India. Unfortunately some farmers do poison the birds, which is a severe punishable crime. I really think the peacock has an annoying call, which is subjective to some extent like art. And I only meant that their poop looks like a goat's poop. Haha! have a good day!?

No need to get on the defensive. I was only saying that to me, peafowls are nice birds to live with, and magnificient animals. Then, that peafowl owners probably didn't mind the loud call of the peacocks and probably like it as well since they are keeping them.
The only critique I addressed to you was that you posted in a dead thread, writting about peafowls being considered a pest in India, when the topic of the thread was just to know if peafowls could be useful to kill snakes, which they are.
I never tried to "be your judge", you do not know me either, so do not accuse me just because I said something you might not have appreciated.
It's not like I've told you : "Get the f*** lost, you are being an annoyance to us all !!"
Geez...You are being rather rude when I was only exposing my own opinion on the whole matter.

With that said, this is completely off-topic.

Last edited:
It's not necessary for anyone to argue the point. We all have our likes and dislikes. Some find the call of peafowl offensive. Others love it. For many people in India or other countries, the peafowl may be considered pests and seen as loud an obnoxious. The same can be said of many people in the US. Others love to hear all of their different calls. During breeding season it can get pretty noisy around here.
big_smile.png
But I'm one of those who loves it. Except at about five in the morning, when they wake me up
tongue.png

Last edited:
It's not necessary for anyone to argue the point. We all have our likes and dislikes. Some find the call of peafowl offensive. Others love it. For many people in India or other countries, the peafowl may be considered pests and seen as loud an obnoxious. The same can be said of many people in the US. Others love to hear all of their different calls. During breeding season it can get pretty noisy around here.
big_smile.png
But I'm one of those who loves it. Except at about five in the morning, when they wake me up
tongue.png

thumbsup.gif
I agree with that 100%.

You said the peafowl poop like goats? Strange mine poop like my other birds and my goats Pooh looks like rabbit poop. LOL

So it is obvious you don't like Peas so what kind of birds friends do you have?
Oops, sorry but I never said I hate Peacocks, I think I love them. They are regal, drop dead gorgeous, efficient snake killers. And to me the sight of a male peacock in flight, which I am blessed with often, is a thing to die for. Now I understand why I offended the other Lady. I am sorry if my random rant looked like I was hatin' on peacocks. :( I wasn't!!

Oh, it could be the rabbits/wild hare then. Well, we used to live near a quarry, and I take my dogs for walk there and there used to be so many peacocks and there were a lot of droppings like rabbit droppings, so I assumed that Peacocks poop like Rabbit/Goat. So it is either rabbit/hare or the goats. I feel stupid now, lol.

I had a girl parrot (the Indian Green parrot), she was abused by the people who caught her and it's no wonder that she is the meanest pet in the world. Her wings were damged beyond repair. Mom is against having the Pets inside. We have a Big Shed where all the pets are kept. And she attracted a lot of Rat snakes, so we had to give her off. The sight of a Rat Snake or Cobra trying to find a entry inside the cage and the bird crying for help, became a everyday stuff.

I have one Chicken which I rescued from the Genetic Engineering Laboratory. The guys had ordered 5 week old chicken for conducting some Salmonellosis research, and one of the chicken happened to be of different breed as evident from the coloring, they were all planning to stew it, but I rescued him and now he is having a pampered life. I have a lot of fishes and an adopted dog!! After my PhD though, I am sure I will only marry a cowboy or a farmer!! :) Have a nice day Zazouse!

Amb3r,

You have such charming stories!
If you really are in India, and I hope you are, we would love to see pictures, and hear more stories of our beloved peafowl in their natural environment!

Back
Top Bottom