Do peepers for feather pecking work?

Haleyrbloom

Chirping
Apr 20, 2018
San Jose, CA
I have an alpha who is pecking my WTB and Polish. To the point of bleeding pin feathers.

Then my two barnvelders follow them like sharks pecking and making it worse.

I have them all separated right now. And I am working on building another long run for more space.

In the meantime, I have seen painless peepers. The videos suggest they help.

Anyone have experience with peepers?

There are lots of posts on peepers. They are a good short term solution I believe. Getting your birds more room will definitely help. How big is the coop?

You have only one polish? That always ends up with a pecked crest. You may have to keep it separately or find it a new home.

Like it or not small crested breeds like Polish are at best first targets.

Polish chickens are sight challenged and they blunder into conflict with their bigger and more aggressive coop mates.

Peepers are intended to reduce or eliminate pecking in commercial chicken flocks. One local pasture chicken operation I worked part time for back in the day use to buy them by the 50 pound nail box full.

Last edited:
There are lots of posts on peepers. They are a good short term solution I believe. Getting your birds more room will definitely help. How big is the coop?

You have only one polish? That always ends up with a pecked crest. You may have to keep it separately or find it a new home.

I have been told I may have to rehome her. But she is my favorite. I have a splash marans who I raised her with that protects her, but can’t catch everything.

I am thinking of adding a second smaller coop.

Run now is 12 feet long x 4 feet wide. Not very big.

I am adding a 16 foot x 3 foot wide along my fence.

Like it or not small crested breeds like Polish are at best first targets.

Polish chickens are sight challenged and they blunder into conflict with their bigger and more aggressive coop mates.

Peepers are intended to reduce or eliminate pecking in commercial chicken flocks. One local pasture chicken operation I worked part time for back in the day use to buy them by the 50 pound nail box full.

Did the peepers work though?

Back
Top Bottom