Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

Pics

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????

I'm getting maybe one or two more than you are, with the same number of hens. It beats me how they do it. I do know someone who has red Sexlinks and gets an egg a day, feeding mostly corn. She says for ten hens, she goes through about a bag of allflock a month. I guess sexlinks are all they're touted to be—I just don't like them.

People with lights in their coops during the winter will get more eggs than you do.

I will say that Wyandottes were some of the worst egg-layers I've ever had, and that the Easter Eggers were pretty bad too.

Funny-
I agree with Wyandotte's- not an egg from them all winter- but my EE lay all year round, really well. And my Welsummers. The CLB is pretty good too. the danish brown leghorns arent great either.

Our light goes on at 5 am and off at 9 pm all year.
I dont like sexlinks either.

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
Age, breed, daylight .. lots of factors. Lol I don't think anyone is lying about their eggs. I am a novice chicken keeper so take this with a serious grain of salt. My amberlink lays every single day. She is young and days are getting long. Previous owner said she laid really sporadically :idunno
Have you considered that your birds may be hiding eggs since they free range?

Back
Top Bottom