Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

Assuming good management in all cases, I think it depends not only on the breed but on the particular hatch as well. I've heard of folks getting a bum batch of chicks from many different breeds. It happened to me with Delawares; I doubt I'll ever get Delawares again. The New Hampshire Reds in the same order of chicks did great, so I'm convinced it was that particular batch of Delawares. I'm not a huge fan of sex-links either. I think they are designed for commercial production and burn out after 2 years or so, and can also develop health problems as they get older, more so than heritage breeds. But again I think that depends a lot on the particular batch, hatchery, breeding lines, etc. I'm sure some are more "engineered" than others, if that's the right word. I am intrigued by the Sapphire Gems and might try some next time I get new chicks. Maybe next spring and hopefully this coronavirus crap will also be over before then.

I have 2 Australorps, 3 Eggers & 4 Wyandottes . It's just me and my husband and we are giving eggs to our friends because I collect 7 to 9 eggs a day, more 9 than not. I live in Arkansas and I free range my girls over 10+ acres, plus all winter I offered them pellets and crumble with a little scratch before they went in for the night. I've been very blessed to overflowing for my small family.

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????

I have two Rhode Island Reds that we got as chicks last April. They started laying in September and for the most part have laid all winter long. We may have had a couple of days where neither laid and have had a few days where one has laid but not the other. Almost always two a day and now that the duck has pitched in again we almost always have 3 dozen eggs in the fridge at any given time. We supply family and neighbors when they have a need.
Seriously could not have better hens than the R.I. Reds. We feed them Purina Layena, scratch and they get daily mealworms, oyster shell and fresh veg for treats. We let them out of their coop in the morning and they put themselves to bed at night unlike the ducks who have to be told to go to bed. They have almost a half acre to play in.
they are friendly and get along with the ducks and dogs. They will almost trip you to get you stop and scratch them or pick them up. Note: we did not handle them much as chicks. It’s just their nature.

I only have 4 chickens. 2 Black Australorps and 2 Buff Orpingtons. They are all 1 year old. I live in southern Pennsylvania and we have had a very mild winter.
I am currently getting 3-4 eggs a day, however they molted at the start of winter and one of the BA went broody at the same time. Egg production stopped!
We are back on track now.

I have at least 3 hens who haven't laid since last summer... no feather loss.....
I have some hens who dont lay for 2-3 weeks, then they lay lay lay for a week or two.. I can tell because I have different breeds that lay all different colours.. And even within the breeds, I find each hen has her own shape, or bumps, or lumps.. lol

I mostly raise Orrington's, Rhode Island Reds, Cochins and Leghorns; these breeds tend to slow down and sometimes stop during their molt which last one to two months. The winters don't seem to affect them too much, but adding light in their coops can help keep production up. (Just remember to give them darkness at night) Lights on a timer are helpful if you're too busy. The Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and Australorps do okay but winter seems to put a kibosh on high production levels. They did great when I was in the desert, especially the Australorps, they are very heat tolerant.

Age, breed, daylight .. lots of factors. Lol I don't think anyone is lying about their eggs. I am a novice chicken keeper so take this with a serious grain of salt. My amberlink lays every single day. She is young and days are getting long. Previous owner said she laid really sporadically :idunno
Have you considered that your birds may be hiding eggs since they free range?
Assuming good management in all cases, I think it depends not only on the breed but on the particular hatch as well. I've heard of folks getting a bum batch of chicks from many different breeds. It happened to me with Delawares; I doubt I'll ever get Delawares again. The New Hampshire Reds in the same order of chicks did great, so I'm convinced it was that particular batch of Delawares. I'm not a huge fan of sex-links either. I think they are designed for commercial production and burn out after 2 years or so, and can also develop health problems as they get older, more so than heritage breeds. But again I think that depends a lot on the particular batch, hatchery, breeding lines, etc. I'm sure some are more "engineered" than others, if that's the right word. I am intrigued by the Sapphire Gems and might try some next time I get new chicks. Maybe next spring and hopefully this coronavirus crap will also be over before then.

It depends on a lot of things especially breed. But there is an old farmers saying, the more protein the more eggs. Maybe a layer feed will help. When I had a dozen sexlinks and a small mixed flock I got about sixty eggs a week on average. They free ranged in the day and got put away with feed at night. When it gets cold at night we do give ours a heat lamp for their comfort.
As far as people lying, some might big fish you, but I don’t expect everyone is.

I wasn't getting many eggs in the winter this year. Now I do get about 1 egg per chicken. In my experience egg laying depends on:

1. Breed
2. Age
3. Weather/time of year/day length
4. Diet... my hens won't eat oyster shells/supplemental calcium, so I have to buy feed that has calcium integrated
5. Lifestyle- mine free range but I assume if you have them too cramped/dirty/dark they won't lay eggs

*Funny story, once or twice my coop door blew closed during the day, so my hens, who free-range, couldn't get back into the coop to lay their eggs. I thought they had quit laying. Then I found nests in random places such as: in the corner of my house underneath the bushes, in what used to be a very cute potted flower plant, in the cat's bed, in the dog's dome, in the chairs around the picnic table, and my all time favorite: in a box of newspapers for recycling in the garage. Unfortunately once they have picked a spot, it's hard to dissuade them. Now I get a little more exercise hunting down eggs everyday.

Back
Top Bottom