Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

I have three Rhode Island reds who are not laying anything. One is older but the other two should be getting out an egg a day or two. I don't use lighting. Any suggestions?

There have been 2-3 bad winters in the last 10, when my flock of RI reds were at their peak age when I got nearly 100% most days. I would guess on average for the 10 or so years I've had hens, I got 50% or so. I feed them a layer mix from a local feed plant and scraps from our garden and table.

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
Our typical daily gathering is 16-24 with 29 hens of varying age and breeds. Then time change came and our egg production fell to about 3-6 a day by November. This was our first Winter with chickens, EVER. My Mom and Dad have chickens and Mom suggested that we put a light in our coop, set it up on a timer to come on at 4am. We then set the light timer to go off an hour after sun-up. My Husband was sceptical...the proof came in the egg production!! Within a week, our gathering went back to summer numbers... IN JANUARY the gifts from our hens were still at 16-21 DAILY! This is the truth from our KY coop!

I only have 3 hens buff orphington started laying mid summer last year have not missed a day yet.I keep their water warm and they are under street light.They get all the laying pellets they want i keep the feeder full.Purina omega 3 pellets. Best i have ever had and very friendly even tempered.Can not free range in city.Had chickens for 70 yrs or most of my life

I have 5 hens...3 Rhode Islands and 2 barred rocks that are just over a year old. They free range along with my RIR rooster. I got eggs everyday thruout the winter.
.usually 3 or 4. Been getting 5 a day for the past 2 months. Live in Oklahoma.

I have 3 chickens who are all 3 years old and I got two almost everyday. One of my hens is said to have “egg yolk peritonitis,” so we dont expect her to lay. However, the other two hens lay an egg almost everyday. They may occasionally skip a day and not lay the egg, but most of the time, we get an egg.

I have a Golden Laced Black Polish hen that has laid 27 of the past 30 days. She is the first Polish hen that I have ever had in my 50+ years of raising chickens and I am impressed with her production and her personality.

Attachments

• Polish Hen (12-29-19).jpg
    Polish Hen (12-29-19).jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 3
I have had chickens now for about 4 years. In the beginning I barely got any. Over the years-through personal experience and lots of reading-I learned they like having lots of daylight. So I have a light on a timer for when the days are short. I get an egg a day. Love it! ❤️ I have for a few years now. I live in Maine so it gets dark and cold. And also they only lay for around 3 or 4 years so I hatch babies each spring. That was I always have hens that lay. Good luck!

I have 4 chickens that are almost 3 years old ( (2 black Australorps, 1 Buff Orphington, & 1 white leghorn) and 1 chicken that is 2 years (Amerucana) and 3 mixes of my Australorp and white leg horn with my Amerucana rooster). So, they lay year round, but slower in the winter except for my 3 young chickens that pretty much laid every day or every other day. I got about 2 to 4 eggs a day in the cold of winter. Now, I have been getting between 3 to 6 eggs a day as my buff had been laying but seems to be molting now. My 2 year old Amerucana laid better the first year. Her eggs now are more oval shaped and she likes to sit on eggs instead of lay eggs. My 1 Australorp stopped laying for 9 months, then laid briefly for a month or so in the summer and stopped laying again from fall to now. My crested duck lays better than any of my chickens as she has laid every day since she started laying in December.

Back
Top Bottom