1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Plymouth Rock hens make good pets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ducclelover10, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

How nice are everyone's Plymouth rocks?

2. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    I have one really nice one who loves to give hugs, and one who attacks me all the time. Both roosters, both from same brood. I really have no idea how they came out that different.

3. Ducclelover10

Lol! Thanks, I'm not gonna get any roosters though. Do you have any hens?

4. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    We have 4 three week old hens, too young to tell how they are at this point. But I assume that we just got a random mean rooster. If the other rooster is so friendly, I can only assume the hens are more friendly as well. They are a pretty popular bird and people seem to like them!

5. Ducclelover10

Yeah, I've wanted some for a while now and they are most likely gonna be our new pets soon!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have two BRs in my flock of fifty hens... They are both dears. Both sneak into the house to lay their eggs, they are that special. They're great lap-sitters, too.

Because I like variety I did not get a whole flock of the same breed. But all are pets; just Belinda, Beth, and Punkin (a Buff Orpington) have their facorite "nest" spots inside the house. I also have a full time House Silkie who just hatched four chicks from flock eggs.

Hope that helps answer your inquiry. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by