Do polish chickens like rain?

Mzcooke

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2022
I am new to raising chickens. I have 5 polish hens that are about 7 weeks old that have just moved into the outdoor coop. The coop is connected to a run and the chickens have no problem going down the ramp into the run, but they don't seem to have figured out how to go up the ramp into the coop. I was wondering what to do when it rains, like it is now. I have read that polish hens don't like rain because of the feathers and because they won't go up the ramp, I'm not sure if I should let them out of the coop. They can go under the coop, where it is mostly dry, but if it rains all day, they'll still get wet. The ramp is a bit steep and is 7 1/2 inches across. Should I make the ramp wider?

HI! Silkies don't fly very well at all and from what I have seen in my 6 wk old girl they are quite clumsy lol. Maybe it is too steep and they can't get their footing? I know they don't like the rain at all and it is not good for them because of their "fluff" as opposed to feathers that repel the rain.
Welcome and enjoy your babies!

They probably don't like sitting in the rain.
How steep is the ramp?
Can you go get a few clear pictures of it real quick? With an umbrella ofcourse.

I had polish ONE time. Dumbest birds I've probably ever had. It would rain and the rest of the birds would go under the trees. Not the polish. Would stand there and get drenched then complain afterwards. They were definitely not for me

HI! Silkies don't fly very well at all and from what I have seen in my 6 wk old girl they are quite clumsy lol. Maybe it is too steep and they can't get their footing? I know they don't like the rain at all and it is not good for them because of their "fluff" as opposed to feathers that repel the rain.
Welcome and enjoy your babies!
Thank you. I changed the ramp and them seem to like it better. Do your silkies go in the coop when it rains?

Back
Top Bottom