Do possums eat the chickens or the eggs or both?

No, a baby possum won't likely kill a chicken, but for the next 4 years it will. They're my number 3 chicken predator after raccoons and dogs.
They do prefer to eat eggs and waste feed but, if hungry, they'll climb up onto the roost and start chewing on your chicken. Worse yet, they waste a lot of the good meat.

I hate killing an animal, especially one in a trap but opossums aren't endangered. When I catch one, I kill it.

I have changed my mind, you all r right. There are plenty of possums in my area. If I catch one, I will kill it. Sorry for those of you that disagree, but I can't risk loosing my flock! My pets come first!

I relocated 3 baby possums. I did not kill them. And my coop is now locked down like Alcatraz, (as it was before, but somehow that baby gig in the tiniest space that I missed).

Last edited by a moderator:
'Possums may not run in herds, but they certainly do communicate the whereabouts of a food source. If you have one 'possum, you will have others. We have a 'possum burial ground here. Haven't been bothered with them lately, though. Maybe the 'coons ran them off.

My mother (born 1922) said her mother used to cook possum for my grandfather and herself. The kids would not eat it. I think (although not certain) mom said her mother boiled it then baked it. They served it with greens and cornbread. Try Google.

If it's dead you won't have to wonder.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom