Do pullets chest bump?

Yes, I have the waterer with poultry nipples and two cake pans of cold water for them in their run. I have been putting fresh basil and mint in their water. They girls ( i hope) love fresh mint!
I wanted to let them free range in our yard, but my husband is worried about hawks. We want to be to grow a little more to be sent out on their own.

Yes, I have the waterer with poultry nipples and two cake pans of cold water for them in their run. I have been putting fresh basil and mint in their water. They girls ( i hope) love fresh mint!
I wanted to let them free range in our yard, but my husband is worried about hawks. We want to be to grow a little more to be sent out on their own.
Cool! I don't let my chickens free-range unless I am out there. The baby girls are pretty well behaved and stay close to their house, but the big ones like to eat the garden and roses. :rolleyes:

Cool! I don't let my chickens free-range unless I am out there. The baby girls are pretty well behaved and stay close to their house, but the big ones like to eat the garden and roses. :rolleyes:
Okay cool, yeah we may build a day pen for them and have them out only when we are working on the yard.

My boyfriend has had a few of our chicks fly at him around dusk. One Ameraucana last year, and one Favaucana (Ameraucana + Faverolles Easter Egger) this year. We interpreted this as just them acting on two instincts: seeking to be as high as possible for nighttime and seeking the protection of their big "roo" when scary nighttime happens. We've always thought it was the cutest thing, but we discourage it by putting them into the coop b/c we don't want them getting injured on the flight up (or us, if they were to land on our faces!) or just having him not be in the run when it starts to turn dark outside.

Perhaps that is what your BO is doing? Trying to roost on you for the night?

Back
Top Bottom