Do pullets ever try to crow, or is she a rooster?

farlo4

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
This is my chicken Momo. She is about 7-8 weeks old and lives with three other pullets. I posted some pictures on here a few weeks ago and everyone seemed to think Mo was a pullet, but today I saw her attempting to crow. (It didn't sound very good more like a screech, haha). She's also always chest-bumping the other chickens, and is most definitely the most dominant. I've noticed that Mo's comb is a darker pink then the others, another reason that I'm suspecting she's actually a he. However, I've also heard that when you don't have a rooster in the flock, one of the hens sort of takes his place as the lead of the flock. So what do you think? Do pullets ever crow? Or is Momo a rooster?

Here are some pictures:

Here are two of the other chickens for comb comparison:

Sometimes hens will attempt to crow, but I would find it very strange to see a puller try... And those wattles are a little big. Cockerels normally sound really bad when they first start crowing.

Yeah she/he sounds really bad right now, it's kind of funny. I can have a cockerel on my property so it's not a problem if that's what Mo is, I was just wondering. Any other thoughts?

It's usually older hens that try to crow, especially if there is no rooster around. The head hen will sometimes take the role of the rooster to keep the flock in order and safe. I think you have a little roo there

It's a rooster. As stated above, some older, dominant hens or those with hormonal imbalances can crow, but if this bird were female it would be way too young to be that dominant or have hormonal issues. It's just a rooster.

That's a cockerel. The bright color of the comb and development of comb/wattles at this young age would give him away even in the absence of crowing. If you posted pictures a couple weeks ago, he may not have been developing yet but he certainly is now.

I'm in the same situation as you, posted photos of this pullet a few weeks ago and everyone said Rooster, and "it" crowed...but now everyone who has seen it in person says hen? But it was defiantly crowing...but I have a definite rooster that is a few weeks older in the same pen? It's all very confusing, I guess I will just have to continue to wait and see?

Taken at 8 weeks where everyone on BYC said Roo!

Taken at 10 weeks

Taken at 10 weeks

I'm in the same situation as you, posted photos of this pullet a few weeks ago and everyone said Rooster, and "it" crowed...but now everyone who has seen it in person says hen? But it was defiantly crowing...but I have a definite rooster that is a few weeks older in the same pen? It's all very confusing, I guess I will just have to continue to wait and see? Taken at 8 weeks where everyone on BYC said Roo! Taken at 10 weeks Taken at 10 weeks
100% cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom