Do pullets get spur "bumps?"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisahaschickens, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I am raising my first batch of chicks and they are just over 6 weeks old now. My favorite EE girl (the only one that really likes to be held and petted) was on my lap today and I noticed that she has a tiny bump on each leg where I think spurs would grow. Do females get these too? They are so tiny that I would have to hold the others to look and that's not happening.

I am just hoping that she's really a girl is all. I already believe I have more roos than I'll be able to keep in my batch of straight-run Marans. My EEs and Buff Orps are supposed to be all pullets, but I know the hatcheries can make mistakes. She really does seem feminine.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have 2 ee bantam hens and they both got them too [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  3. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    oh yay! Thanks, that makes me feel better. I really don't think she's a boy, but that kinda worried me.

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yup! All hens have spurs, but they're not as pronounced as a male's spurs. There's a round scales that bubbles slightly above the heel, that's the hen spur. There's a recessive trait that causes hens to grow spurs like a male's, it's common in EEs.

1 person likes this.
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My SSHB girls do have them too! Nothing to worry about.

6. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Yay! Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by