do quail go up and down ramps.

Short answer is no they won't use ramps and no they don't care to go inside if they are cold. Quail think more in terms of "let me find another warm quail to cuddle with" than let me get in out of this draft.

If there is no wind blowing quail are completely fine being outside in 0 degrees F or even lower. Instead of heating the space staple plastic around the sides to block the wind.

Mine don't seem to go upstairs at night, and prefer to bed down in the straw and deep litter I have provided for them. In winter I put shoe boxes in there but they would only go in to lay during the day. Only one slept in the box at night.

I.have three quail living in a small chicken coop like this. Their old pen got way to dirty and was old so I have them a new home. However I noticed one of them is shivering I think but they wont go inside as quail don't like using ramps. I know quails are dopey but do they at least know to go inside if they are cold? Any tips? What if I put a light or heat source inside?

Exactly how high is the ramp? I have a small ramp on my hutch and they use it fine. I keep their food in there. Mine honestly prefer to stay outside in their run and have been sleeping there (It's been cold here lately, around 20 or 30 degrees F). I've seen them there even when it dropped down to negative 10. Just try to keep a tarp or something over the run part and they'll be fine. I have an old plastic tablecloth that keeps wind and snow out and mine have been fine all winter. (Had many days in the negatives this year too) I swear they fare better than the chickens in the cold.

Exactly how high is the ramp? I have a small ramp on my hutch and they use it fine. I keep their food in there. Mine honestly prefer to stay outside in their run and have been sleeping there (It's been cold here lately, around 20 or 30 degrees F). I've seen them there even when it dropped down to negative 10. Just try to keep a tarp or something over the run part and they'll be fine. I have an old plastic tablecloth that keeps wind and snow out and mine have been fine all winter. (Had many days in the negatives this year too) I swear they fare better than the chickens in the cold.
My quails are just 3 weeks old and we successfully got them into their new home last night. the ramp is only 1 foot high and their little legs are able to go on it fine :) they are going up and down, some are perching halfway, but I have food/water for them in both downstairs run and in the upstairs room. Tonight was only 40/50 overnight, so a good night to go out. I had my husband board up the back and side and we put a tarp over the front. They have a heat lamp in there and seem to be doing OK - we'll see in the morning, LOL.

Do you have a heater and a light in there for yours, 1000yearoldeggs, or just a heat lamp, which is both. I'm trying to see if heat lamp is a way to go or if I should have them separately (heat and light). Because with the heat lamp, you kind of stuck with having it ON all winter long and thus the quail would have 24 hour 'lights on' situation. I hear they only need 14-16 hours of light, so don't want to overwhelm them with 24 hour light. Anyway, trying to see from experienced quail owners (in the cold weather) what works best?

Thanks a ton!!
:)
Hope

My quails are just 3 weeks old and we successfully got them into their new home last night.  the ramp is only 1 foot high and their little legs are able to go on it fine :) they are going up and down, some are perching halfway, but I have food/water for them in both downstairs run and in the upstairs room.  Tonight was only 40/50 overnight, so a good night to go out.  I had my husband board up the back and side and we put a tarp over the front.  They have a heat lamp in there and seem to be doing OK - we'll see in the morning, LOL.

Do you have a heater and a light in there for yours, 1000yearoldeggs, or just a heat lamp, which is both.  I'm trying to see if heat lamp is a way to go or if I should have them separately (heat and light).  Because with the heat lamp, you kind of stuck with having it ON all winter long and thus the quail would have 24 hour 'lights on' situation.  I hear they only need 14-16 hours of light, so don't want to overwhelm them with 24 hour light.  Anyway, trying to see from experienced quail owners (in the cold weather) what works best?

Thanks a ton!!
Hope

Hi! I have some chicks who arr three weeks and when I saw your post I tried all day to train them to go up and down however it is not too successful. Any tips? Would really appreciate it.

How cold does it get where you are from? If it is not cold enough to snow then I dont think they need a lamp or heat lamp! If you are talking about chicks then I would personally keep them inside.

Ok I just watched a fox walk up.to my coop. I watched with a grin on my face thinking " hah fool you can not enter my coop, you aint so crafty. I watched grinning with self amazement as the.fox ran up andripped one of my hens head off so fast that I was still grinning to myself. Note to myself ; use chicken wire always as quail like to stick their head out while getting attacked.

Predators are fast aren't they? And sly.
I prefer not to use chicken wire but rather hardware cloth 1/4" as this prevent the quail from sticking their heads out.

Wish ya the best.

My quails are just 3 weeks old and we successfully got them into their new home last night. the ramp is only 1 foot high and their little legs are able to go on it fine :) they are going up and down, some are perching halfway, but I have food/water for them in both downstairs run and in the upstairs room. Tonight was only 40/50 overnight, so a good night to go out. I had my husband board up the back and side and we put a tarp over the front. They have a heat lamp in there and seem to be doing OK - we'll see in the morning, LOL.

Do you have a heater and a light in there for yours, 1000yearoldeggs, or just a heat lamp, which is both. I'm trying to see if heat lamp is a way to go or if I should have them separately (heat and light). Because with the heat lamp, you kind of stuck with having it ON all winter long and thus the quail would have 24 hour 'lights on' situation. I hear they only need 14-16 hours of light, so don't want to overwhelm them with 24 hour light. Anyway, trying to see from experienced quail owners (in the cold weather) what works best?

Thanks a ton!!
Hope

I was keeping all my males outside with no heater or light. I'm planning to move my females outside now that I sold the males. Yours are still a little young, so a heat lamp will help them acclimate better. Mine were full grown (about 8-10 weeks old?), so I just picked a warmer day (around 50 degrees F I think) and they seemed to love it. I honestly think they thrive outdoors, even when it's cold.

When mine were young, I kept their brooder inside and I used a regular light bulb to heat them. It was on 24 hrs a day and they weren't affected by it.

I was keeping all my males outside with no heater or light. I'm planning to move my females outside now that I sold the males. Yours are still a little young, so a heat lamp will help them acclimate better. Mine were full grown (about 8-10 weeks old?), so I just picked a warmer day (around 50 degrees F I think) and they seemed to love it. I honestly think they thrive outdoors, even when it's cold.

When mine were young, I kept their brooder inside and I used a regular light bulb to heat them. It was on 24 hrs a day and they weren't affected by it.
yep, I kept mine inside the brooders up until now, but the older they get (3 weeks now) the stinkier and more mess they make. I was ready for them to move out!! :) It's been pretty warm but yeah, i've kept the light and a heat lamp on them. they seem happy. No issues :)

Hi! I have some chicks who arr three weeks and when I saw your post I tried all day to train them to go up and down however it is not too successful. Any tips? Would really appreciate it.

How cold does it get where you are from? If it is not cold enough to snow then I dont think they need a lamp or heat lamp! If you are talking about chicks then I would personally keep them inside.
Well, not sure what kind of birds you have, mine are texas A&M's and they are quite large. They are about the size of an average grapegruit around their body, so maybe because they are bigger on stronger legs - they have no issues? Regular (non-jumbo) might not be ready for ramps just yet. I put food and water in the upstairs part and set them there first, as the previous person recommended, so they know what is up there, which might entice them to go.

Also, the ramp is finished on top with shingles, so not slippery at all! I think that makes a huge difference. My other pen (I'm about to put together and move half of quail in there tomorrow) has wooden ramps, I wonder if that will make any difference... I'll let you know :) But these ramps are very low, only about a foot of an incline. This helps too.

Good luck!

Try attaching the ramp to the side of your coop wall if you can. Mine won't go up a ramp if it is open on both sides. They also need more traction than chickens. Maybe some grooved rubber that you can brush the poop off of. Right now I have a thin board with 1/4 grid stapled to it that is impossible to clean. They run up and down it constantly, always sticking to the side against the wall. Its funny when they get into traffic jams, the braver one always has to be the one to pass on the outside edge. With two timid ones, it can take awhile. Maybe because they are naturally ground birds and not roosting types. The only thing I have up top is hay. I did use mealworms sprinkled on the ramp to coax them up at first. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom