Do quail need roosts or nest boxes?

ProgressiveHomemaker

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Mars Hill, NC
I have 23 quail and am not sure how many males or females. I have raised them altogether since they were hatchlings and plan to raise them community style. I am at the point where I need to build them a permanent coop/run. Will they need roosts? Will they need nest boxes? What do quail need to be happy?

Rule Number 1 ....

What Speces Of Quail?
tongue.png

Last edited:
I have been trying to research mine as the gal did not tell me when she gave them to me. I think I have bob whites. Since I am new to this, I am not sure. I have some that are darker and blend into the mulch really well and others that are "blonder" in color. I will take and post pics as soon as I can and maybe you can help me ID them.

Look At The Sticky Section Here At The Top Of This Forum... Find The Article Labeled Coturnix Quail Basics And See If Any Of Those Look Like Yours

I have an all wire bottom cage with a sandbox. All my eggs thus far have ended up in the sandbox. So although they don't need "nest boxes" if you have a wire cage you might consider giving them a place with solid ground to lay there eggs in as it makes egg hunting that much easier.

as it makes egg hunting that much easier

KINDA HARD FOR AN EGG TO HIDE LAYIN OUT IN THE OPEN ON TOP OF 1/2 INCH HARDWARE CLOTH
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
KINDA HARD FOR AN EGG TO HIDE LAYIN OUT IN THE OPEN ON TOP OF 1/22 INCH HARDWARE CLOTH
hmm.png

I know... Mine roll out the back of the cage. Well, except for the ones I find in the feeders...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom