Do quails go broody?

BrittnyChicks

Songster
Jan 9, 2023
I have 8 coturnix quails, 3 males and the rest are all females.
They lay at least 1 egg a day, and they wont go broody. I even setup mini nests, and nestsboxes for them, still no broodies.
also- will the females not accept their babies if i incubate them?

You cannot force a quail to go broody by setting up a nice area for it to lay an egg in. It's just simply not true.
I've never had quail, and I know you are a quail expert so I defer to your wisdom, but something I found interesting about the article I linked is that it said quail are typically raised on wire-bottom cages. I found that interesting because wire-bottom cages are commonly used to Break broodies.

I've never had quail, and I know you are a quail expert so I defer to your wisdom, but something I found interesting about the article I linked is that it said quail are typically raised on wire-bottom cages. I found that interesting because wire-bottom cages are commonly used to Break broodies.
Yes most quail will not go broody because of wire bottom cages but if you give them as much natural as possible it makes the chances higher if the quail going broody I had a quail go broody kind of wouldn’t get off the eggs and would peck us when trying to take them (we didn’t let her hatch due to not having space for the babies at the time) so there’s always a chance but even with natural it’s just not really thier instincts.

I have 8 coturnix quails, 3 males and the rest are all females.
They lay at least 1 egg a day, and they wont go broody. I even setup mini nests, and nestsboxes for them, still no broodies.
also- will the females not accept their babies if i incubate them?
Also I would suggest getting rid of 2 of the males.

I don't raise my quail on wire.

Back
Top Bottom