Do Racoons Climb?

Raccoons can be kept out by two sizes of wire mesh.
One size keeps their little hands out (1/2" holes)

Or some bigger sizes keep out the body of the raccoon, but still let its hands reach in. If you use wire with that size holes, you need to keep it at least a foot away from where the chickens can go (so the raccoon's hands cannot reach the chickens). So that size wire starting at 3 feet up should be fine. It might not even need chicken wire over it.

Raccoons can be kept out by two sizes of wire mesh.
One size keeps their little hands out (1/2" holes)

Or some bigger sizes keep out the body of the raccoon, but still let its hands reach in. If you use wire with that size holes, you need to keep it at least a foot away from where the chickens can go (so the raccoon's hands cannot reach the chickens). So that size wire starting at 3 feet up should be fine. It might not even need chicken wire over it.
Thank you! That's great to hear.

Yes they can climb (I can hear coons arguing in the trees) however I only have the bottom few feet of my chain link run covered with HWC, to prevent reach-throughs. My run is not predator secure, but it's right in front of my living room where I can hear any commotion, and the coop is always closed up at night and through the early morning when coons in my area are passing by.

Back
Top Bottom