Do Racoons run from the light???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tiffanyg2, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Hey I'm just curious if setting up a motion sensor light around the coop would discourage any possible predator activity???? In the exception of a hawk, the owls and coons typically hunt at night so do you think a bright light popping on and shining at them would chase them away?? Any one ever try this... I suppose if they are hungry enough it won't bother them ~ but it may just frighten them enough to leave!! We could set up a sound system that kicks on hollering* Get outta here* maybe a few gunshot noises and screams mixed in [​IMG] On the flipside though the neighbors might start to wonder about me though... [​IMG]

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    It might work for a little while, But I think they would eventually get used to it. I've read about somebody setting up a radio to a motion detector. If I remember correctly, that worked pretty good. I just go with "FortKnox" style of coop, that would take a bear to get into.
    Jack

3. romadfox

romadfox Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ridgeway, SC
    Hey Y'all,
    I live in the country and I know there are predators out there, but I don't see themn much. I have apretty secure run and coop, but I also have invested in these Solar Nite eyes to repel predators. Here's a link where you can read more about them. If you decide to order them, tell them you saw their ad in GRIT's Backyard Chickens mag for a discount. http://www.solarniteeyes.com/

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2 I have worked nights and watched coons show up @ 2:30- 4:00 AM with sodium lights lighting up the dumpsters they had plenty of light to eat by they did not show up until everyone working had settled down and gotten quiet [​IMG]

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I use something similar to this to catch / lure bobcats to my traps more then a few folks who live in the country have trappers around them and do not even know it [​IMG]

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

No!

There too smart. They know you're not behind it and if you were they would say "Thanks for the light, makes it easier to find the birds in this dark coop".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends on your coons... in the city they don't run from people and will confront you if you get too close to their garbage can... the only lights they do run from are car head lights.

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    For a few moments they'll stare into the light and then they run off. Unless, within that few minutes you send them to that big Cottonwood in the sky.

9. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    No...motion sensor lights do not deter racoons, or possums at all!! Have had a racoon come up to my front door and kill one of my cats sleeping in his dog house... and the light was ON. Just helped him see better.

Also, had a possum kill some chicks in a pen under the same light. However...it does help my aim in shooting them now.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It would be nice if they'd run from the light. Then they would stop getting killed in the road at night.

They sure aren't bothered by headlights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by