Do Roos Squat?

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 27 week old silkie that looks rooish, large wattles and a comb, (when I have posted pics before people have said roo). Anyway no crow yet but today she/he squatted for me. Can I say pullet now or can roos squat??? Please say pullet. :) shouldn't it have crowed by now if a roo?

I often wonder the same thing.
My mother in law bought 4 garbage birds from the food market 2 are obviously hens, 2 looks like roosters.
No matter how many times I look they just look like roos.

Still havent seen or heard any crowing from them I can tell and I verfied one of them squatting when I cornered it.
Is it s defense mechanism? Did they get snipped and are now Capon Roos? Is he just a little confused in the new home and thinks now its his chance to be a pretty girl?

Wish I knew.
Have to get a pic up tonight.

I've never seen a rooster squat. I've seen my roosters mount each other to show dominance, and the poor guy being mounted did not squat beforehand....
Nikki

Yeah that sounds normal to me, seen it when the teenagers were fighiting for position.
However this one is special.
Stupid me forgot to take the picture, first thing in the morning.

I've never seen a rooster squat. I've seen my roosters mount each other to show dominance, and the poor guy being mounted did not squat beforehand....
Nikki
Well that's good news because I don't want she to be a he but I didn't know if it could be a fluke.

Finally some pictures of the famed Garbage 4.
Anyone can see the clear difference between the pairs, but is this just some really big diversity in some garbage breed or are my instincts right and the guy at the market cheated my mother in law something good.
Didnt just sell her sick, but also Male chcikens. Its been quite a month...

A close up of the two, everything says boy and girl to me.

Finally the "squatter"
I mean it, this one really squatted the other day.

When you see the pictures you will see the light combs of the girls, as they still havent recovered fully. The stuff they brought with them was insane, dont know if the flock will ever be the same. Hell if we even get eggs again I'll be happy, although I wont feel like eating them.
They have laid a couple really soft shell eggs, even with oyster shell and proper feed. Oh well, only time will tell.

I wont be letting anyone else obsessed with cuteness have a say with my chickens ever again.

Last edited:
Those are all hens. Here's a picture of a buff roo I used to have (he's mixed with Silkie, but will show what I'm talking about well enough):

If you have a look at his hackle and saddle feathers (neck and base of tail), you notice they're long and stringy. You'll also notice the darker buff places on his back, these are male traits in buff birds. Your girls feathers are short and round and their color is a nice, even buff all over. They have nice,big red combs bc they are mature (one of my BOs had a comb so large ir would flop over like a Leghorn's). I bet once you get the poor things healthy again, they'll be happy to give you some eggs :)
Nikki

Good to hear.
I know there's a bit of overreaction going on as these may be a good breed of chicken but they were treated as garbage in the market.
Plus killing off 4 of my houdans and my 1 olive egger really put me in a fowl mood. (evil pun)

After all that and seeing such a disparage in comb I really didnt know enough to tell for sure.
Acted like girls, but didnt look that way.

Seeing a proper roo the difference is striking.

Thanks again for the answer. Relieves a lot of questions.

My rooster squats next to my hen behind the lemongrass bush all the time. They're not mating, just love to squat next to his girl. He's more gentle and not aggressive at all. He's an EE...maybe that's why he's so tame

This is my squatting 27 week old roo?? He/she now squats whenever I get close. I don't have to touch him/her. I say him/her because when I posted pics awhile ago the majority of folks thought it was a he. I'm starting to think he's a she :) Just need to wait for an egg. And hear whether of not roos squat?.?.e

Back
Top Bottom