Do roosters make chicken noises or just crow?

My roosters talk a lot. Chicken talk, of course. But they talk to each other, to the hens, to the ducks, to the dogs, to me. Lots of vocalizations. They're not quite as chatty as are the hens, and certainly not anywhere near as frequently as baby chicks (who just don't ever shut up - the little ones are using chick-location sounds, akin to radar, to find where their nest mates and mom might be).

I particularly love the little "Come hither, my darlings, I have found something delectable for you!" chuk-chuk-chuck sounds the roosters make to show the ladies a treat.

we just received a young rooster - I would say a few months old. He makes chicken noises as if he is talking to the hens. No crowing yet. I'm told he will get bigger, he is pretty big right now so I expect when he starts crowing, it will be loud.

old.gif
I have 2 roosters.A blue Wynadotte and a Buff Orpington and even though they make the typical rooster sounds ,Sometimes I can tell them by their sounds.A lot of times you can tell what they are saying by watching their body language.If they think I shouldn't be in with the hens they will make a growling sound and get between me and their ladies and use their bodies to push them away.When I feed them treats they make another sound that brings the ladies to him and as a general rule he won't eat till they start.He has another sound when the other rooster wants to come in for the treats and he doesn't want him to eat yet.The Wynadotte does this and believe it he keeps the orpington in line.
caf.gif
He uses vocal and body language to communicate with both gender

Back
Top Bottom