Do Roosters Squat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meowteri2, Aug 24, 2011.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    I was worried about one of my australorps being a rooster. The worry was just from the look of the comb and wattlle because the other one does not have as much.
    They are over 20 weeks old and the one I was worried about is squating for the past 4 days. Is this a quarantee that it is a hen?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have roos that look like they are gonna lay an egg, in the nest box, or anywhere else that looks good. Just showing the girls what to do??

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have a few roos that squat when I pet them. My big BO boy does a great impression of an eggsong too. [​IMG]

Have you tried posting pics of the bird in question? Someone may be able to help you figure it out. [​IMG]

4. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    I was worried about one of my two hatchery-sexed black australorps being a boy, too, and I posted a picture in the australorp thread down in the breeds category. Yep, the experts said, that's a roo! So, Saturday, when I processed him ... yep, there were the jelly beans. He was a roo, alright.

Cute little Frilly-butted thing.

::le sigh::

Can you give us a picture?

5. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Got 3 eggs from the one with the big comb and wattle. Now the one with the small comb and wattle is starting to squat. Glad its a female because the two get along so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by