Do Sebastopol Geese Pair Up?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, May 28, 2011.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i am looking at getting some Sebastopol goslings. Not sure how many i can get, or what will be available. i have been told they tend to pair up, and a third female would get ignored. But i'm a little afraid of just getting two - what would i do if something happened to one of them? They are hard to find as it is, and then trying to replace an adult may be difficult.

If i can, would it be feasible to get a trio, or perhaps one male and three females? Or should i try to get two pairs? Just curious what works for other people with their flock. Thank you for any input anyone might provide.

2. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    A trio is great and although they may have a favorite partner they will usually still breed the others. My put together breedings this year were from 4 females to a gander to trios and fertility was just wonderful . I could not have asked for a better year. Most all of the eggs from the pen of 4 white females and gander were fertile and these were with 2 females he did not know .I put them together early enough for them to adjust to each other. Hardly ever saw him breed but the eggs told another story. I finally stopped collecting and let them set and got another 9 babies. I don't sell goslings and this was a new trio added to 2 of my females, so if I ever have some available it is late, late in the fall . I will post some pictures later. Just had 6 little grays sebastopols hatch 2 days ago which is nice as that group has produced almost all buff sebastopols. This was just a great hatching year and others I have visited with have had the same.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thank you for your input. i looked on your site and your geese are beautiful. i love the buff color. It sounds like i should try to get a gander and then two or three females. i am so looking forward to getting these. i've been wanting them for a while now.

4. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I love the buffs to. I did get a curly buff saddleback in with the buff kids and that was a neat surprise. I will get some photos of them on here today.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Cool! i would love to see pictures!

6. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    I am interested in getting a trio of blues or grays, but I don't know any breeders close to where I live in southern New Jersey. Does anyone where I could purchase a few goslings that could be shipped or picked up in a nearby state?

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by