Do shingle back lizards eat eggs?

Muscovy Wunda

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Central West NSW Australia
Okay so before we get into it- I live in Australia, we have weird looking animals, I do not consider shingle back or blue tongues predators or pests, I'd rather them then snakes, but wasn't sure where else to post!
So today I had my pelvic floor tested while I went to do waters, when out of the corner of my eye I see a scaley little head peeking out from behind nesting boxes. Turns out the breeding pair of shingle backs thats been hanging around the house managed to squeeze through the slightly adjarred gate and were stuck in the duck pen. I captured and relocated to the scrub. But I can't help but wonder, as all the other reptiles seem to do it... do they eat eggs? Besides lots of hidey holes to have babies why else would they go in the hen house? Many thanks for any thoughts.
And for those who are just here to see what a shingle back is, enjoy:
20191030_141042.jpg
20191030_141045.jpg
20191030_141642.jpg

Okay so before we get into it- I live in Australia, we have weird looking animals, I do not consider shingle back or blue tongues predators or pests, I'd rather them then snakes, but wasn't sure where else to post!
So today I had my pelvic floor tested while I went to do waters, when out of the corner of my eye I see a scaley little head peeking out from behind nesting boxes. Turns out the breeding pair of shingle backs thats been hanging around the house managed to squeeze through the slightly adjarred gate and were stuck in the duck pen. I captured and relocated to the scrub. But I can't help but wonder, as all the other reptiles seem to do it... do they eat eggs? Besides lots of hidey holes to have babies why else would they go in the hen house? Many thanks for any thoughts.
And for those who are just here to see what a shingle back is, enjoy:View attachment 1947456 View attachment 1947458 View attachment 1947461
A chicken egg is pretty big for a blue tongue or a shingle back. Quail egg maybe but a whole chicken egg? Anyway they are all great lizards so just pick them up and move them. Just behind the head will stop them trying to bite although I find most wild lizards are pretty calm when I pick them up. This is our non-wild bearded dragon who is totally chill.

Attachments

• A9CB73B2-8978-4815-B087-76F63A7E1291.jpeg
    A9CB73B2-8978-4815-B087-76F63A7E1291.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
A chicken egg is pretty big for a blue tongue or a shingle back. Quail egg maybe but a whole chicken egg? Anyway they are all great lizards so just pick them up and move them. Just behind the head will stop them trying to bite although I find most wild lizards are pretty calm when I pick them up. This is our non-wild bearded dragon who is totally chill.
I thought too big too, but it sounds like they break them first. Yes lizards are very easy to move on... unless they are goannas.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom