Do Silkie Bantams make good pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyTheQuail

Chirping
Dec 30, 2020
I'm about to acquire a Silkie Bantam but before I did I wanted to make sure that I was making the right choice. I like that breed because of how adorable and cuddly they are number one, also because I've heard that they're friendly and calm in nature. My questions are: what's their life expectancy, are they noisy and is there a friendlier breed? In a nutshell, what I'm looking for is for a relatively quiet bird who's friendly, docile, loving and smart. Any recommendations?

Are you adding to your current flock? Or starting a new one?

Silkies can be fairly nice, like all chickens some are, some aren't! Chickens in general live 3-10 years depending on a ton of factors, I believe 5-7 is fairly normal. My Cochins were always extremely sweet (my silkies it varied more, but individuals vary a LOT)

Are you buying an adult, or a chick? How old are they? How many are you buying?

I'm about to acquire a Silkie Bantam but before I did I wanted to make sure that I was making the right choice. I like that breed because of how adorable and cuddly they are number one, also because I've heard that they're friendly and calm in nature. My questions are: what's their life expectancy, are they noisy and is there a friendlier breed? In a nutshell, what I'm looking for is for a relatively quiet bird who's friendly, docile, loving and smart. Any recommendations?
I have silkies. They are super cute and sweet. Docile, make some noise when laying. My cockerel talks all day (and crows). Some are smarter than others. They do enjoy sitting in your lap and getting some scratches on the neck.
I have other breeds that are smarter though. If you are planning to get one, I recommend getting two, so they have a buddy. They can live up to 9-10 years with good care. They are a little higher maintenance than other breeds. 😊

Silkies are fairly skittish especially the younger ones. Over time you bond with them and they become less skittish. I know some people have had silkies live for 12 years! They are friendly which makes the really good for children. If you want chickens to cuddle I’d suggest polish or pekin. But overall they are beautiful, chick wanting, picky, fluffy, little chickens :)

Silkies, in my experience, aren't very noisy. Life expectancy should be around 7 years with good care. More friendly, docile are breeds are Cochin and D'uccle (but some Cochins can be a bit loud).

Do you have any other chickens?
At the moment I don't have any other chickens. Oh, I forgot to mention one thing...I live in an apartment in the city and so he's going to be sleeping with me, literally in the same bed. Therefore, I would prefer a chicken that is not going to make too much noise, that doesn't poop too much (perhaps the smaller the breed the smaller the poop?) and who loves receiving tons of affection.

Silkies are fairly skittish especially the younger ones. Over time you bond with them and they become less skittish. I know some people have had silkies live for 12 years! They are friendly which makes the really good for children. If you want chickens to cuddle I’d suggest polish or pekin. But overall they are beautiful, chick wanting, picky, fluffy, little chickens :)
Thanks and I will be giving the Polish & Pekin a check-out.

I have silkies. They are super cute and sweet. Docile, make some noise when laying. My cockerel talks all day (and crows). Some are smarter than others. They do enjoy sitting in your lap and getting some scratches on the neck.
I have other breeds that are smarter though. If you are planning to get one, I recommend getting two, so they have a buddy. They can live up to 9-10 years with good care. They are a little higher maintenance than other breeds. 😊
How exactly are they high in maintenance? Which are the other breeds that u say are smarter?

Silkies, in my experience, aren't very noisy. Life expectancy should be around 7 years with good care. More friendly, docile are breeds are Cochin and D'uccle (but some Cochins can be a bit loud).

Do you have any other chickens?
Can be noisy, chicken talk alot 😁... I have a hen 9.5 years old still laying and healthy so more then 7 years life expectancy I'd say.. Yes Silkies can be friendly and docile but some can be not so friendly, as can other breeds, temperment can vary chicken to chicken.

At the moment I don't have any other chickens. Oh, I forgot to mention one thing...I live in an apartment in the city and so he's going to be sleeping with me, literally in the same bed. Therefore, I would prefer a chicken that is not going to make too much noise, that doesn't poop too much (perhaps the smaller the breed the smaller the poop?) and who loves receiving tons of affection.
Really if you can't get 2 chickens (so they have a friend) and don't have a yard for them to forage then I suggest not getting a chicken, maybe a cat instead to go in your bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom