Do silkies get cold faster then any other chicken?

Nikkyrj

Chirping
Oct 12, 2018
North Carolina
i have a 6 month old silkie chicken & we keep her indoors always & take her out when it’s feeling nice outside, today it’s snowing & its 27 degrees outside & I wanted to take her out & experience snow for the first time but I’m worried that she will end up getting sick or something

Silkies don't have barbs that hold the feathers together... so during windy conditions it can be colder for them, when the feathers are blown apart.

But if they are mostly dry... short trips to the snow should be fine. Just check she isn't shivering.

People always said Silkies don't do well free range or in the rain.. I raised them for 3 years in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a ton... and free ranged every day... never lost one to the weather or predators... but ALL are individuals with their own immune system and such.

Good luck... pics always welcome! ;)

C5446D47-57CD-4896-A0D3-973019311041.jpeg
Silkies don't have barbs that hold the feathers together... so during windy conditions it can be colder for them, when the feathers are blown apart.

But if they are mostly dry... short trips to the snow should be fine. Just check she isn't shivering.

People always said Silkies don't do well free range or in the rain.. I raised them for 3 years in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a ton... and free ranged every day... never lost one to the weather or predators... but ALL are individuals with their own immune system and such.

Good luck... pics always welcome! ;)
I took her outside for 2 mins just to take pictures of her in it, & I put her back inside in front of the fireplace

Attachments

• C831D040-84BE-415A-8549-4D1D94409CEF.jpeg
    C831D040-84BE-415A-8549-4D1D94409CEF.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom