Do Silkies NEED a roost inside their hen house?

bigmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
South Lyon, MI.
O.K. not that I have a lot of hens... out of 8 chicks I got 5 rooster, but the inside of their hen house ( or the man cave) is a little cramped. I have never seen them use their roost in doors, and the only time I see them use their outdoor roost is in the A.M for wake up calls! When they are sleeping they always snuggle up together under their nesting boxes. Not that I'm a crazy chicken lady that checks on her babies with a flash light every night....I just know thats how they sleep. I was thinking of removing their indoor roost to give them a little more room inside this winter. Would that be safe or are they just not ready to start roosting yet? They are about 18 weeks old.

Last edited:
I have six chicks in the brooder, they all roost except the silkie,but she has now joined them as she didn't want to get cold on her own!
smile.png

None of my Silkies roost. And they vary in ages from about 3 mos to 1 year. They all just kinda pile up in corners together. And they have plenty of places to roost, but they're not interested. I don't see a problem with you removing the indoor roost, but just my opinion.

Paula

My silkies roost--but their perch is only about a foot and a half off the floor of the coop. I have another roost that is about three feet off the floor, which my non-silkies use.

Maybe non-roosting silkies just can't hop/fly up to a high roost?

When I had my silkies, they liked to roost, but my roost was also only a few inches off the ground. Mostly they just bunched together to sleep.

Their indoor roost is only a few inches off the floor. It has never been used. Their outdoor roost is about a foot off the ground. They can jump up, or walk up their chicken ladder to use it. They will stand on it to crow, or jump off it on to the other chickens, but have NEVER roosted on it. I'm wondering if they will start roosting when the weather gets colder.

silkies don't normaly roost (if they are with other types of chickens & they are the minority they will roost)

thumbsup.gif
Yes take the roost out
(boys just want to be heard when they are outdie crowing)

Last edited by a moderator:
My cochins would roost under the light when I had them int he brooder box, but the silkies never did, and I don't have roosts up in the coop yet, but the silkie pen ain't gettin' one. The cochins snuggle in happily with the silkies and I'm thinking since they're frizzles, they probably want the extra body warmth of snuggling on the ground anyway.

My Silkie roo roosts on the lowest perch sometimes... about 10" off the ground, but my other two just snuggle in the corner on the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom