Do Silkies roost? How do they sleep? How can I set it up?

So they will be covered in poo every morning? Oh no!
I will have to close the upper compartment of the hutch every night so they dont sleep in the nesting boxes. how thick should the roost be? I heard a 2 by 4 is good because it shouldnt be too thin or round so its easy to be on.Is that true? Also do roosters need a nesting box too?

Close the nesting boxes until the hens get old enough to lay. You want to encourage them to use the nesting box for just laying eggs.

Boys (cockerals if the are under a year old, or rooster if they are over a year old) do mot need nesting boxes at all. The nesting box is only for pulleys and hens to lay their eggs, and nothing else.

Yes a 2 x 4 with the 4" side up is am excellent roost. It keeps their feet comfortably flat on the roost. In freezing weather, it is essential that their feet are flat on the roost, so their chest feathers cover their feet and keep them warm. If they are always in the house, this isn't a concern, but it's still better to have the 4"side of the roost up for them to perch on.

Close the nesting boxes until the hens get old enough to lay. You want to encourage them to use the nesting box for just laying eggs.

Boys (cockerals if the are under a year old, or rooster if they are over a year old) do mot need nesting boxes at all. The nesting box is only for pulleys and hens to lay their eggs, and nothing else.

Yes a 2 x 4 with the 4" side up is am excellent roost. It keeps their feet comfortably flat on the roost. In freezing weather, it is essential that their feet are flat on the roost, so their chest feathers cover their feet and keep them warm. If they are always in the house, this isn't a concern, but it's still better to have the 4"side of the roost up for them to perch on.

Good to know. having a dna test done in jan. 6th.
I will hold of on the nesting boxes until then.
I was hoping for at least 1 hen but based on what people tell me about how broody silkies get and the big poop I think ill be happy with 2 roosters LOL:p

Good to know. having a dna test done in jan. 6th.
I will hold of on the nesting boxes until then.
I was hoping for at least 1 hen but based on what people tell me about how broody silkies get and the big poop I think ill be happy with 2 roosters LOL:p
If they or one of them are girls and you put a nest box in, 2 birds only need 1 nest, make sure to put the nest box low and the roost higher. With just 2 silkies you can let them roost on top of the nest boxes if you put poop boards on top of the nests. Most all chickens want to roost as high as they can reach. If your nests are above the roosts, they will sleep in the nests and poop in them all night long. It's a lot easier to clean a removable poop catch board, than to have to pick poo nuggets out of the nest straw everyday with your fingers. :sick Plus if you have to replace dirty straw everyday it can get expensive. You can make them a little ramp to get up to the roosts that are higher than the nests.
Good luck! :thumbsup

Oh silkies. I love that breed. That’s what I’m switching to my next go round (I have 13 chickens of several varieties) it will take them a little while before they are big/strong enough to hop onto a roost. Agreed with the other posts on holding off on a nest box until you know if they are male or female first. If you’re keeping them inside in the tray you’ve got this is my personal experience but Tractor Supply sells 40lb bags of pine pellets (sold as horse bedding) that do amazing for chicken droppings. They turn into saw dust when they break down and smell amazing. Chickens can be stinky!! Lol

Oh silkies. I love that breed. That’s what I’m switching to my next go round (I have 13 chickens of several varieties) it will take them a little while before they are big/strong enough to hop onto a roost. Agreed with the other posts on holding off on a nest box until you know if they are male or female first. If you’re keeping them inside in the tray you’ve got this is my personal experience but Tractor Supply sells 40lb bags of pine pellets (sold as horse bedding) that do amazing for chicken droppings. They turn into saw dust when they break down and smell amazing. Chickens can be stinky!! Lol
Great advice I need to buy in bulk

You guys I cant figure out how to start a new thread? I used to be ablle to do it from my home page but it doesnt show that link anymore?? please help

Back
Top Bottom