Do silkies roost?

Quote:
Oh you need to get her a Silkie friend to snuggle on the floor with
bun.gif

I am so glad somebody asked this! I was wondering the same thing about my two lil Silkies. All my other birds roosted
idunno.gif

I hope they are both girls though, I don't want one to be lonesome (I have to get rid of any cockerels because we're suburbs.) I would hateee to have to get MORE silkie chicks!
wee.gif
*evil laughter*

I have a single silkie and had the same question a while back. She would always be on the floor. Even though I have a smaller pole for her, she won't use it so I started putting her on the one with the rest every night, she would still be there in the morning so I figured she didn't mind. After a week or two of that, she started getting up there by herself. I think she gets on top of the nesting box first and then jumps up.

I have 8 13 week old chicks. including 2 silkies. my silkies roost. I have a small coop and when we get them in at night the silkies would pace back and forth in front of the roost wanting a way up. they would give a hearty jump and flap but weren't able to make it all the way up. it was quite pathetic. I felt so bad for them we put in a ramp and up they went and have been roosting with all the big girls every night. I think most ppls roosts are just too high for them.

Connie

reading this makes me feel so much better!! I have a silky, it somehow got mixed up with the chicks I got this spring...and she is so odd...always on the floor but trying to roost with the other birds...so strange that we called her Ree Ree! I wish we had a couple more silkies just to keep her company...I am very happy that the big chickens do not pick on her for being unusual (in so many ways) Thanks for the info!

how funny to come across this post! I usually close my chicken coop up earlier in the evening but tonight I was late doing it.I realized that my two silkies we're just laying on the floor and all of the other bantams were up on the roost! I thought maybe they were shaken too much during shipping!

I have found that out now I got some silkies I will be breeding and I have a roost for them that is about 6 inches off the ground and a few of the have trouble getting on that but two of them can just fly right up on the roost with the big chickens that's two feet off the ground no problem.

Back
Top Bottom